1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

UK and the EU

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clanless, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997

I'm sure that if the amount of pro EU Scottish votes is the difference between staying in and leaving, there'll be many anti EU English who'll then be in favour of Scottish Independence and a second EU referendum. I don't think either of these issues will go away any time soon whatever the result.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,089
      I dont know where you got the "fervent " supporter of the SNP from Silu ?
      Im pro independence but not pro SNP or any other party for that matter and have lived most of my life in Scotland.
      I consider myself ScotsBritish, supporting England when they play the Aussies/NZ/SA and team GB etc but will also be a passionate Scotland supporter tomorrow against England at Murrayfield.
      You may have issues with the Snp which is fair enough but I wouldnt go about tarring all independence voters with the same brush.?
      And I do want the UK out of Europe.

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,623
      This is all fine and dandy - my objection is the European Courts overturning decisions that have been made by UK Courts. UK laws are made by our own elected body (ignoring the Lords) who represent the interests of the people. EU laws are made be interfering busy bodies. I'm voting out - still.

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      If you feel you are due an apology for presuming you vote SNP then I apologise. I wasn't aware there were any other parties which were pro Scottish Independence other than the SNP. Perhaps this just goes to show the damage that has been done by the SNP by splitting the country with it's venomous rhetoric. I too am ScotsBritish altho the SNP peddles that so many Scots hate the English. I feel incredibly sad that Scotland is ruled by a party that seem hell bent on making us look ridiculous to the rest of the world. I, many of my friends AND our children are embarrassed at admitting we are Scottish these days. Here's to a win at Murrayfield tomorrow but read that the English coach is making us favourites to win. History will prove that's a recipe for disaster, we always play better as the underdog!

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      The European Court of Human Rights is not an EU court . Although being based in Strasbourg this does confuse people.
      The European Court of Justice is an EU court.
      Just my pennyworth on the EU subject. For the worlds 5th largest economy to vote itself out of the worlds largest single market is not joined up thinking .

map.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,304
        Shineyland has seceded from the UK, EU, UN and all those other acronyms with U's in them!

We have our own border controls. Sarafi - who can be quite choosy about who comes in.
        P1110642.JPG

And just a pussycat at other times :cat-kittyandsmiley:
        P1210229.JPG

There are special rules about entry.

No passports necessary but smiles must be worn at all times.
        No import restrictions on plants.
        Enjoying food is a must.
        No taxes but charitable donations are looked upon with friendliness.
        No accommodation, or camping possible but the surrounding country welcomes recommendations from Shineyland.

• Like Like x 5
        • Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,629
          I'm just wondering, if were were to vote to pull out of the EU if it might just start a few others countries to think along the same lines.
          I get the impression that the populations of a few other countries might want out, its only their governments that are holding the whole mess together.

Even Germany, dare I say, might have a good few amongst the population that dont really like the way things are going, and I'm not sure it's a healthy way to run things.

Democracy is what they all call it, but once the democratically elected government goes against the feelings of those that voted for them, ie. handing over power to a bunch of EU megalomaniacs, who knows what could happen in the future.

Best out of it, I'm again thinking, but cant really work out the consequences of leaving, as with all these kinds of thing, we will never be given impartial information.

Just a load of propaganda from both sides, and then told to vote. :scratch::th scifD36::th scifD36::wallbanging::fingers crossed::yikes:

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,595
          The whole thing is a massive farce. Cameron is on about holding the referendum in June. That means, and he knows, his negotiations count for absolutely zilch. Even the Polish top dog said it will take months to iron out an agreement among all member states. DC is just rushing things along just so he can tick the election promise box, but without having changed anything at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +614
            I think any questions will be loaded the way they want us to vote, a in out box would be nice but can't see it somehow.

• wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,780
            Good afternoon:smile:

The Tories recommended that the question be: "Do you think that the United Kingdom should remain a member of the European Union?" However, the government bowed to pressure from the Electoral Commission after concerns that the phrasing of the question might be seen as biased towards those campaigning to remain a part of the union. The wording has since been changed to:

Should the UK remain a member of the EU or leave the EU?
            ========================================================

Who can vote in the EU referendum?
            Eligibility will be based on the criteria for voting in a general election, which means citizens of most EU countries (who can vote in local and European elections in Britain) will not be allowed to take part. Anyone over the age of 18 who falls into one of the following groups can cast a vote:

• British citizens resident in the UK
            • British citizens resident overseas for less than 15 years
            • Citizens of Ireland, Malta and Cyprus resident in the UK
            • Commonwealth citizens resident in the UK
            • Commonwealth citizens resident in Gibraltar
            However, citizens of Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man, which are not in the EU, will not take part. Members of the House of Lords will be allowed to vote, despite being ineligible to cast a ballot at general elections.

• pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,629
            How can you answer yes or no to that one????:smile:

Kind of no and errr yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Scrungee

Ratings:
              +28,997
              Cor, as the UK's now got the world's 5th(?) largest economy, it could create a new world record

• Like Like x 1
              • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +16,246
                Yes 5th , or fifth if you prefer . We would soon be down to 25th if the no vote gathers steam , but we'd be happy :biggrin:
                http://money.cnn.com/news/economy/world_economies_gdp/

• pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,629
                Has anyone got any info regarding how the size of the economy relates to how well off the population is?

Strikes me that there are a lot of counties in that list that have some very poor people living in them, likewise there are a lot missing from that list that would be very nice places to live.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Scrungee

Ratings:
                  +28,997
                  Do you mean GDP per capita? (as UK's debt fuelled economic miracle GDP boom has only been due to increase in population, whilst GDP per capita has decreased)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Informative Informative x 1