1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

UK and the EU

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clanless, Nov 9, 2015.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    When I read that Stephen Hawking said that Brexit would be a "disaster for UK science" I was convinced that Remain was the way to vote, after all he is much cleverer than me and must have thought it all through in great detail.

Then I had an email from my company's bosses telling all employees why they thought it was much better to 'Remain', given that our management have never been right about anything before I have my mind made up and I'm voting to leave.

Sorry Stephen, but your Science funding can come from the money we save from not being in the most expensive club in the world.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,946
      Not me, as the cap changed a few years back so a few farmers now don't claim the subsidys and with the extra red tape there voting out

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
        Ratings:
        +7,625
        Oh go on......:)

• Funny Funny x 3
        • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,435
          I think the unicorn is 'IN'!!!!!!:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 4
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,038
            I thought the days of the employer telling the employee how to vote had gone out in the 1950s.
            Sounds a bit like something out of a Charles Dickens novel.;)

:pathd::pathd::pathd: Now you go away and be a good boy.:biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 3
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,500
              That's what most of the farmers I spoke to were talking about. :noidea: So they want Out. I don't understand it anyway - just like most of the rubbish that both sides have been spouting. :doh:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +86,038
                Well I'm pretty much in the South East, and unless the "in" brigade are hiding, mostly its out, in my area.
                Only seen one Remain board, and that is on the way to work, none round where I live.

I think its mostly down what kind of area you live in, the more affluent areas tend to be remain, us lot are more for leave.

When you bear in mind those that are on the up, dont want the boat rocked, while those that are just getting by are hoping for a new future, I think it makes some kind of sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                  Ratings:
                  +31,946
                  They have to work a bit harder for the money as it's more about the environment than crops and if they recieve subsidys they have to put up a sign at the farm gate saying they are receiving eu subsidys, I think but not sure that if they don't put up the sign they may not get the subsidys but not sure

It's all about what is best for you/family or your company not what's best for the country (uk) as a whole

• Like Like x 1
                  • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
                    Ratings:
                    +7,491
                    Well I'm in...mostly for selfish reasons. OH works in car manufacturing so voting in is a no brainer for us. Also I can't get away from everything I studied at Uni about economics.

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +4,015
                      Have only just seen this thread - so my point may have already been made.

The problem, as I see it, is not just about migrants per se but about total population. The IN faction will condemn us to a future of uncontrolled population growth. I think we are sleep walking into a world over population problem and a UK one too. TV programs are already saying that we must all live in smaller houses so that we can accommodate the extra people. They are also saying we won't be able to afford to eat meat so we will have to eat insects etc. Perhaps we will all be richer as a result, but what is the point of being richer if your quality of life is reduced.

In theory we could build more houses, schools and hospitals. But it took decades of taxes to pay for the current ones, and it will takes decades of taxes from the immigrants to build more for them - but they want them now. And what about roads. The roads in most towns are overcrowded, with long tail backs at times. But we can't build more roads inside a town.

A retired Arab doctor friend of mine said that when he studied medicine in Egypt its population was 32 million. Its now over 90 million, with wall to wall people. And did you see that the Turkish president has called for Turkey to increase its population - taken from FT site. Clipboard01.jpg

As long as Europe is taking in their excess population, there will be no incentive for Turkey or Egypt and other countries to control their population.

And a final fallacy. The argument is that as we are an ageing population we need immigrants to look after us in our old age. The world. as a whole, will soon have an ageing population - are we going to import aliens from another planet to care for us, or are we going to have to find a solution using the current population.

• Informative Informative x 4
                        Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
                      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                        +19,596
                        Purely out of curiosity, why do we have to be in the eu to have a car industry? I'm not knowledgeable on that industry sector, so please forgive the naivety, but I thought the main car manufacturer in the UK was Nissan, which is mostly Japanese owned, but 21% French now, and choosing to manufacture in Britain despite having fully productive factories owned by subsidiaries and partners in France and the Netherlands. Thus demonstrating that 1) there is something in Britain that is so attractive that they prefer to be here than in their partner owned factories in Europe and 2) the parent companies seem perfectly willing and able to cross the eu boundary.

With regard to economics in general. Again forgive my naivety as it's not my subject at all, but isn't it all just guess work? We keep hearing predictions all the time, then they turn out to be wrong, then the economists blame some unforeseen factor. I can remember I, along with many other non-economist sorts, predicting the house price crash when all the forecasts were for prices to keep rising. I was so confident of it that I carefully orchestrated the timing of my own redundancy so that I'd get paid off just as the bottom fell out of the market, thus enabling me to buy my house at just over half the price it had sold for just 5 years previous.

• Like Like x 2
                        • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +4,015
                          Clueless - I agree with you about the housing crash. Its an area I follow closely. Many, many people saw there was a crash coming, but no one had the guts to do anything about it. The cause of the crash was interest rates were too low creating too much debt. So what has happened since. Interest rates have been reduced even more and debt levels are even higher. The government debt in China is now four times greater than it was in 2008. Conclusion - an even bigger crash is coming and no one is doing anything about it. Actually its too late now, there is nothing they can do about it, we have gone beyond the point of no return.

World population is in a similar position. And global warming as well. Whilst we in the West have tried to reduce energy consumption a bit, the rest of the world in increasing consumption at an exponential rate.

I think I want to exit this planet. :snork:

• Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Funny Funny x 1
                          • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                            +19,596
                            That's because we've reduced our consumption by stopping our manufacturing. And the rest of the world has increased theirs because they're doing our manufacturing for us now. We haven't reduced the problem, we've just outsourced it.

• Agree Agree x 3
                            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                              +100,836
                              [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
                              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                                Ratings:
                                +118,500
                                I agree. In 1987 I predicted a crash in the housing market was on its way. Fortunately for most of my staff they heeded my warning and kept out of the panicky rush to buy houses (their prices were rising very quickly). In 1989 there was an enormous crash and the amount of repossessions was astronomical.

I forecast the housing crash of 2008 but had no staff to warn about it as I had been retired for seven years by then.

Just to be clear, I didn't forecast the dates of them but just that they were inevitable.

Like PeterS I'm pretty sure that we have another one on the way. :sad: What that's got to do with Thursday? I'm not sure. :noidea: All I know is that this government, and the governments we've had of all colours, haven't taken any heed of what must have been obvious to them.

I feel a bit better now that I've got that off my chest! :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 4
                                • Like Like x 1