1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Unwanted elder tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by jaci, May 31, 2011.

1. jaci

jaci Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an elder tree growing in my front garden about a foot from the house which is very worrying. I noticed it about a month ago but had an accident and am only now properly on my feet again and it is like jack's beanstalk, has grown to five feet in no time. It is even flowering. Please can anyone tell me how to get rid of it, I cannot find anyone to poison it for me so any advice as to what to do would be gratefully received.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Whereabouts do you live Jaci? Perhaps someone on here lives close enough to you and is willing to help get shot of it.:dbgrtmb:

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,186
    Well if you can spray the leaves with Roundup that will finish it off - but mind you don't spray any other plants nearby as it kills anything green.
    Failing that can you manage to snip off any branches/leaves - that will weaken it for the time being.

4. Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
    +225
    It's a shame they get such a bad press. We've just made our second batch of Elderflower cordial. Delicious! Almost food-for-free!:)

Chris

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I'm growing some on purpose along one side of the boundary in my back garden. Trained right they can be a nice, useful shrub.

However, when they grow where you don't want them to, they are a nuisance. At my last house we had one that used to appear at the kitchen window and tap on it. Then I'd go out and cut it right down, and within weeks it would be back. I can tell you it got my heart pumping a few times when I'd wander into the kitchen half asleep sometimes and this tree would suddenly tap on the window in the breeze:)

In the end, I introduced it to my mate Round Up. That sorted it out.

6. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    In the right place I think they are wonderful; especially when in flower and the berries are much loved by birds. I have several in our hawthorn hedge and always cut round the flowers when trimming the hedge..

However they do pop up in all sorts of places from seed; I had one growing in a crevice right against the house wall, I sprayed it with weed killer this time last year, which had immediate effect and it never came back all summer, once the leaves had gone I removed as much of the remaining plant as possible, but this spring it has sprung up again I'm guessing from a segmant of viable root left in the ground??