1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Upload your pics for the new gallery

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Webmaster, Aug 26, 2006.

1. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Ifafa Lily/Fire Lily - Cyrtahthus mackenii

This charming, sweetly scented bulb is long-flowering and easy to cultivate. It belongs to the genus Cyrtanthus which contains many beautiful species. The flowers of Cyrtanthus mackenii are long and narrow with recurved tips, and the leaves are narrowly lance-shaped. This species consists of two colour varieties: var. mackenii, which has pure white flowers, and var. cooperi, which has yellow or cream-coloured flowers.
    [​IMG]
    The var. mackenii occurs mainly in the southern parts of KwaZulu-Natal,

and the var. cooperi occurs mainly in the eastern part of Eastern Cape, although the two varieties do overlap in certain areas.
    The flowers of both varieties are sweetly scented and pollinated by night-flying moths. Adult plants reach about 400 mm high in full flower, and the individual flowers measure up to 50 mm long. C. mackenii has a very long flowering period, depending on the particular form being cultivated, extending from July to February.
    Cyrtanthus mackenii is not known to be used in traditional medicine but a decoction of the bulb of C. obliquus is used to treat chronic coughs.
    The genus name Cyrtanthus refers to the curved perianth tube of many of the species and is derived from the Greek kyrtos meaning curved and anthos meaning flower. The species name mackenii honours Mark J. McKen, a pioneer collector in KwaZulu-Natal, who became the first curator of the Durban Botanic Garden in 1851.
    Several members of the genus are noted for their extremely rapid flowering response to natural bush fires, hence the common name, fire lily for several species.
    Growing Cyrtanthus mackenii
    Although all Cyrtanthus species can be cultivated in containers, due to the rather fastidious nature of many members of the genus, only a few are suited to the rigours of general garden cultivation. C. mackenii is certainly one of the easiest species to cultivate and ranks amongst relatively few others that can be successfully cultivated over an extended period in gardens in temperate climates.
    Cyrtanthus mackenii is best planted in a growing medium that contains plenty of well-rotted organic matter. A suggested medium is equal parts of finely sifted compost, and coarse river sand or silica sand (swimming pool sand). Both colour varieties prefer a lightly shaded position, ideally receiving morning sun and afternoon shade, and like to be planted with the necks of their bulbs slightly exposed above soil level. The bulbs should be allowed to form large clumps and like to be left undisturbed for at least five years, until clumps become too thick and flowering performance diminishes. The bulbs require regular heavy watering about once every ten days throughout the year. Pots can be placed on semi-shaded balconies or verandahs, and when in flower can be brought indoors where the sweetly-scented blooms can be fully appreciated. C. mackenii is a good cut flower, each stem lasting up to ten days in the vase.
    Propagation of Cyrtanthus mackenii is easy. Offsets (daughter bulbs) form rapidly and can be separated from the mother bulbs when large enough, in early spring. The perennial fleshy roots should not be allowed to dry out and the bulbs should be replanted immediately and watered well. Seeds can be sown in early spring in deep seed trays, in the same mixture recommended for adult bulbs (see above). Cover the thin, black, papery seeds with about 3-4 mm of sowing medium, and keep moist by watering with a fine rose. Germination of fresh seeds takes place within four weeks, and under ideal conditions, seedlings will often flower for the first time during their third season of growth.

Text taken from an article by Graham Duncan
    Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden.

Hope this is what you want Nathan. [​IMG]

3. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    Well here goes for the third time. I'm attempting to post a couple of pics of my garden from early last ssummer before all that horrid rain drowned everything.Ive only had my pc for a few months so still learning. fingers crossed. [​IMG] The front garden. [​IMG]The back garden.By george I think she's got it.

4. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40
    LOL well it was my first attempt!!! [​IMG]

5. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Well done 02. Took me ages but know how to do it now although not why it works lol.

Lovely flowers. I've got a greenhouse like yours. Is yours a 2 or 3 tier, or is it a walk in one?

cheers

6. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Webmaster, i have looked at page one on here but i can't understand what's going on (no change there then) what is all that about pb & a fighting chance. Please can someone explain?

cheers

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    I hope Nathan dont mind me jumping in here, but the idea of this tread is to create a data base of plant pictures, along with their full names.
    Now that we have the new software it maybe possible sometime in the future to make all the pics available to everyone, to browse through or search for particular plants that they are interested in.
    Its an on going thing that I presume is never likely to be finished, that can never happen.:)

8. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,919
    I follow on my pete here because it seems everything went amiss.

The original was Latin then common names and the photos had to be pretty "spot on" which is just about when I started photography and joined this link.

I would hate to see it disappear after so many of us (now a lot gone sadly) have tried to develop it ...

I leave it to you, Nathan, to tell us whether to continue .... it's why I've not ...

9. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Oh thanks pete - should've realised but you know what i'm like:) What hapens if names are duplicated? i presume Nathan is putting these names straight in so will be able to tell if they are already on? going to take some typing there, phew.

I know you wouldn't believe it from my typing on here but i do type quite well and understand excel which is a great sorting tool & databases so if any help is need with the grunt work i'm more that willing to offer my services.

cheers

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    I think the idea is that the more pics the better, but we do need to know that the naming is right and acurate.
    The same plant taken at a different time of the year can be good, along with the plant in flower, bud or just leaf, it all goes to giving a good idea of what a particular plant looks like.

The main thing is, it needs to be correctly named