1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Urine resistant grass / dog proof

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by qwertyjjj, Apr 20, 2009.

1. qwertyjjj

qwertyjjj Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the best type of grass resistant to dog urine.
    There are many patches on the lawn where we can't control the dog :)

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Chucking a bucket of water on the patch the dog uses (if you see it happen!) is definitely Plan A :)

Mostly the grass recovers around this time of the year. The dead patches fill out, and the dark-green grass rings around them even-up.

Training the dog will help - when I take ours out in the evening I always take them to the same place. They still pee on the lawn, but to a lesser extent than they used to, and they understand why they are being shouted at when they forget!

I read a book once that suggested using the command "Hurry up" (as being PC / non-pet-owner-neutral when other adults are in earshot!) ... that appeals to me on cold winter's nights, so that's what we have adopted!

3. qwertyjjj

qwertyjjj Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    He's beyond training now :)
    And he goes out fairly regularly in the summer when the doors are open so we can't be there. The grass doesn't grow back in these patches either because the dog does it in the same area all the time, or because the grass/soil isn't great.
    I have heard ryegrass or fescue might be an idea?

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I thought it was only bitches wee that killed the grass! we layed a new lawn 3 weeks ago so we started the tomato sauce in the food method and its made no difference :( there's a couple of round yellow patches already grrrr...

5. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Plenty of water, youngdaisydee! and persevere with the tomato method, perhaps I could suggest feeding your dogs actual tomatos rather than the sauce. I found that my two dogs would lap them up, and did work with lawn and no brown patches.

Hope this Helps!

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks plantstar, ill try that, at the minute she's eating anything i give her :) and im gonna persevere with the sauce...