1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Concrete Blocks for a raised bed - unsafe?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by AndyS, Jan 15, 2018.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,345
    Asbestos is not really a problem unless it is crumbling and powdery so long as you don't saw, drill or especially try and dispose off.
    I reckon that your liver is more likely to pack in from alcohol consumption or drugs like paracetamol than the small amount of toxins taken in with crops grown near concrete or creosoted wood.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,524
      I agree with Nigel. There is very little chance of any toxins coming from concrete blocks and affecting your crops. People use all sorts of things to separate, hold back or form a boundary. Railway sleepers are used quite often and they are also chemically treated. Seepage is almost non-existent and will go downwards and also be diluted each time it rains or you water the beds. So for raised beds there's almost no possible problem.

I've used concrete blocks for edging for over 50 years. The crops nearby don't seem to have been affected but they are planted in soil that has fresh compost dug in each year (except the rhubarb patch which has a concrete block path on one side and the patch has been there quite happily for 65 years).

There are, obviously, things that can affect crops adversely but you would never grow anything if you worried about very minor forms of possible pollution. I'm more concerned about chemicals that are used on plants and, so, my garden is totally organic. Technically that may not be quite true because the bamboo canes that I grow my beans up are commercially grown and the bamboo has been chemically treated. The bamboo is put through a chemical bath before being transported. Just as a comment on my last sentence:- 'organic' bananas are not strictly organic. Although they are not fed with organic chemicals they are allowed to be called organic although almost all banana plantations nowadays put plastic bags over the bunches of bananas whilst on the plant and are allowed to put a gas inside to deter insects (it doesn't keep the snakes out :hate-shocked:). They also, all, put the bunches through a very mild chemical (similar to bleach) bath as they can't export them unless they do so.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        I use 10% bleach solution for tool cleaning and it's good stuff, sorts out nasty diseases :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,524
          I just wash mine and I have no trouble ;) :whistle: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 1