1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Vanishing chocolate cake - very easy, very cheap

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Daisies, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I call this cake 'vanishing' because whenever I make one - it vanishes! Especially if I take it to work where my colleagues fall on it like a flock of gannets!! It was a Bero original recipe from during WWII when chocolate was on ration - there's no chocolate in this! (Anyone old enough to remember Bero??!!!) And it's really, really easy to make, honest!

Sift together:
    7 ozs SR flour
    8 ozs caster sugar
    3/4 teaspoonful of salt
    1/2 oz cocoa powder

Rub in:
    4 ozs hard margarine (NOT the soft stuff!!)

(You can mix the flour, sugar and marg in a food processor but then transfer it to a bowl to continue)

Stir in:
    2 beaten eggs mixed with
    2 fl ozs evaporated milk
    2 fl ozs water
    1 teaspoonful of vanilla essence (the real stuff, NOT flavouring)

Prepare 2 sponge tins with a greaseproof paper circle in the base.
    Divide the mixture evenly between the two
    Bake in and oven Gas mk 3 or 170 C for 35 mins.
    Take out of tins and leave to cool.
    Then trim a little off the top of one sponge to make a flat surface to stand the other upon.

For the icing:
    Sift into a bowl
    8 ozs icing sugar and
    3/4 oz cocoa powder

In a saucepan melt 2-and-1/2 ozs hard margarine

Add to it the icing sugar and cocoa powder with
    1-and-1/2 fl oz scalded milk that is, brought rapidly to the boil and used immediately) and
    1 teaspoonful of vanilla essence. Mix thoroughly with a spatula.

Beat the mixture until it is fully combined and has attained a glassy appearance, then pour a little over the cut surface of the bottom cake, enough to make a filling. Place the other cake on top and pour the mixture over it. Start with a steady, even stream that runs onto the centre of the cake. It will gradually spread over the cake and down the sides. If you're very clever, it will set as the icing reaches the table top. But if you're like me, you need a nice pallete knife to keep sweeping the excess up and back onto the cake's sides until it gets stiff enough to stay there. A turntable is useful for this. You could sprinkle hundreds and thousands on the top but I've never been quick enough to do that and they just roll off!!

To cut the cake, I suggest a large but slender bladed knife and a jug of boiling water. Before each cut, dip the knife in the water and it will go through the cake without pulling it to pieces.

Enjoy!!

2. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Hi MD ,I have the recipe & it is really nice!

3. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Oh, this sounds very yummy MMD. I shall make it in a couple of weeks when my kids are back off holiday. They all like chocolate as do hubby and I. I can well believe that it vanishes quickly!

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Another tip - I put the eggs, evap milk, water and vanilla in a tupperware and give it a good shake - instant mix!!

I made eight of these cake this afternoon (to be made into 4 when iced). One is for my pastor who ran himself ragged getting me a special cd for a workshop last Sat but when he delivered it at 10pm Friday night, I realised I already had it!! Oooooh, dear. Now, guess if you think I'm going the tell him - not!!! But he'll get a chocolate cake to ease my conscience!!

BTW - the other three are to take into work on Friday - just because I feel like it! They won't last long, we'll have about 24 doctors and 60 staff in theatre so not much to go round. Watch out for the gannet attack!