1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wartime food of sorts

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by landimad, Jan 26, 2012.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
    My sister and I used to fight over who got the chicken claws from the soup. They were great to chew on. :dbgrtmb:

2. landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
    Ratings:
    +915
    What about brawn?

Chitlyn plucks and any offal too

not allowed to have these now by all accounts:nono:

3. lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
    Ratings:
    +641
    Heres a posh one :- pork chop with the kidney still on,not allowed any more,and doesn't taste the same when cooked seperate.

4. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Lazydog - I loved the old pork chop with the Kidney :happydance:Some nanny state regulation banned this . :nono:

5. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    These days, go into Tesco (other supermarkets are available!) and, particularly when it comes to fresh meat, you find it's all labelled 'Stewing Steak' or 'Casserole Steak' and most of the customers wouldn't know a bit of shin of beef from ox cheek much less what to do with it, unless it comes with a 'serving suggestion'.

I was particularly amused to go into my local Tesco last year and, at the fresh meat counter, see a sign which said "NEW - Beef Skirt". Skirt? New? Since when? Both my Grandads were butchers and from when I was first old enough to understand, I remember the giggles when one or other of them would say 'I've got a nice bit of skirt you can have Mrs ....'

Bones for stock? My butcher is prepared to give me ham bones, but if I want 'proper' bones, it has to be an almost clandestine activity carried out under cover of darkness, no doubt some 'elfin safety' claptrap. Of course, you'll seldom find bones at the supermarket fresh meat counter since even their deliveries come frozen, shrink wrapped and vacuum sealed :(

Another thing which is also apparent is that it's frequently the 'younger generation' who buy steaks and chops whilst the oldies like me go for the 'long, slow cooking' type cuts - in fact not so long ago, I waited whilst a 20-something asked the butcher what you'd do with skirt and, having been told said 'Oh, I can't be doing with all that faffing about. I'll just have some rump steak'

• Like Like x 1
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      a delicacy in Africa

[​IMG]

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      and here is another ... called skilpadjie

[​IMG]

venison liver (such as liver from a deer) ... but any will do
      salt and pepper plus whatever spices you fancy (such as dried parsley etc)
      mutton caul (sheer layer of sheep fat )

Season the diced liver with salt and pepper to taste. Cut the caul (sheer layer of sheep fat )into squares and spoon a little of the liver mixture onto each square. Fold each square into a parcel, covering the liver completely, and secure with cocktail sticks. Cook slowly over the BBQ coals (low heat)until golden brown and cooked inside. Serve immediately

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,497
      I used to love making good soup using beef bones, barley and vegetables :( - just right for a winter's day.