1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

WATER BUBBLES for my dragon

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Andrea Thackeray, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Andrea Thackeray

Andrea Thackeray Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, I am going to get a pebble pond/ reservoir with grid. There won't be a water feature on top of it; just cobble stones. My dragon statue is to heavy, so will stand right next to it. The pump will get a 3 way distributor hose system. My aim is to fasten 3 hoses with the same nozzles for the same effect (3 water bubbles in different places).
    So no big fountain, just bubbling away.
    My question is how big the reservoir should be (liters), and what pump do I need? It has to be solar, and I know there are good ones out there.
    Any advise would be much appreciated.

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Only had experience of a very small solar powered pump and unless the sun is directly on the panel you will not get much of a flow, so you need to buy something that gives a good flow rate.

That probably means a large solar panel and some can be quiet expensive.

Strongly suggest you try and see one working, otherwise you might be very disappointed with the low flow when its overcast.

3. Andrea Thackeray

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ricky. I've been looking at size A4 solar panels with battery back up to mount on the roof of my arbour. Where I am struggeling is to find out how big the water reservoir should be, and the pump requirements for what I would like to achieve.

4. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    That will depend on the diameter of your cobbles/grid.

From the examples below 15-20lts seems about right but the bigger the better as less chance of it drying up from evaporation.
    The size of pump is a tricky one as you need one thats design to work with low power solar.
    Using 3 outlets and getting a reasonable flow may need to experimentation or using more than one pump ??

000122.jpg

000123.jpg

5. Andrea Thackeray

Ratings:
    +0
    yes, I've been looking at these; just wasn't sure about size. Using 3 outlets and getting a reasonable flow is something to consider, but as I only want some bubbles it might work.