1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Water Butt not filling with slightly longer pipe

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Madra, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Madra

Madra Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I would like some advice concerning a water butt as I am not quite sure of the science behind water levels, etc.

Basically, I have a water butt on a corner downpipe that always worked fine. I had to move it just around the corner so I attached a new pipe from the butt to the diverter, it's a longer length but we're talking less than a metre so I didn't think there would be a problem.

Now there's been a lot of rain but the butt is not filling at all. When I remove the pipe some water pours out so it does seem to be coming from the diverter. The downpipe is not blocked.

Is there a maximum length of flexible pipe that can be attached to a diverter and still fill the butt? Does the pipe have to be entirely straight or can it be curved?

Thanks

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,345
    @Madra so long as levels are the same or the tank inlet is a bit lower than the diverter outlet (preferable); it shouldn't be a problem. I have had the outlet from the diverter and the inlet to the tank blocked by slugs or debris.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  3. Madra

Ratings:
    +8
    I already checked the inside of the diverter but there were no debris or blockages.

Right now, I would say the tank inlet is level with the diverter so maybe I should raise the diverter a couple of inches.

4. Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
    Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
    Ratings:
    +6,780
    The idea seems to be to get them exactly level, then if the butt fills to capacity the water runs back and down the drain. If the butt is too low the water can leak out the butt/fitting (my scenario) and if the butt is too high the water won't run into the butt.

5. Madra

Ratings:
    +8
    I think the butt, although it looks level to my eyes, is slightly higher. Instead of digging out some soil to make the butt lower and then not have enough space for a watering can under the tap, it would be better if I raised the diverter a bit.

A small amount of overflowing might be inevitable but since the butt is on a lawn it hopefully won't cause too much problems. How would one even go about finetuning the diverter to be exactly level, once I hacksaw off a piece of the downpipe I can't go back down again.

6. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +893
    Source a replacement downpipe, by exchange elsewhere on the property or builders merchant, diy store etc .

7. Madra

Ratings:
    +8
    I could but may have the same alignment problems with the new downpipe too. I think I will just saw off a small piece and advance up in 1 inch increments and keep testing until the butt starts to fill again.

8. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Water.png

Ideally it should look like this

• Informative Informative x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,345
      UK designs are a bit different: essentially a collar with a dam in the centre and an outlet; cut pipe, insert collar, reconnect bottom pipe then water collects in collar, runs through outlet to tank, tank full overflow from dam goes down the remaining pipe.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
        Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
        Ratings:
        +6,780
        Yes, the water tends to run down the wall of the downpipe and gathers in the collar.