1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Water Conservation Gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Kristen, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Robajobs

Robajobs I ♥ Organic manure and fine Iranian lagers

One armed Lion Tamer. I'm still learning the Job.
    Ratings:
    +489
    Hi guys, I work for one of Britain's most successful manufacturing companies. It's growth has been phenomenal, even in recession it increased it's market share. Currently the 3rd biggest in it's sector in the world and it's sights firmly set on being the 2nd in the next ten years. Not a day goes by without people working hard. More than anything else everything is focused on our customer relationships. We don't get handed money from customers every year like water companies, we earn it. This is because we take great notice of what customers tell us.
    I guess there's a mentality here that given what we have in resources, that our water companies should be looking at being world leaders too. It should listen to what the paying customer wants and focus on what is needed. We shouldn't have to put up with a second class service, if we pay first class.
    We're not getting a satisfactory service, we're getting excuses 'we've had a dry spell blah blah' Balderdash! they should do their job right. I'm a customer and I'm not very happy, what are they going to do about it? Not a lot from what I can see!
    About water meters.
    As a water customer I don't want one. I don't know anyone that does want one. Even though I believe you can have on for free, again I don't know anyone who has chosen this option, even if it may save them money. They are unpopular and not what the customer wants. That should be enough feedback for them really. :ThankYou: rant over ;)

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I agree with world leading companies being proud of their work and their company, and the great ethos that that generates. I have not done work for the water companies, but I did for BT and British Gas both before privatisation and for several years thereafter. Their work culture was dreadful, compared to the rest of corporate-land, and it didn't improve after denationalisation (same staff still employed, and thus same mentality - presumably for YEARS afterwards), and generally they had already, or did shortly afterwards, offer voluntary redundancy to slim the workforce down - so all the best people, who could most easily get jobs elsewhere, left.

I would not be surprised if the relatively-recently privatised water industry is much the same.

But I will tell you one person who wants you to have a water meter: me. Until you have one everyone else has to pay for any excess usage that you might make.

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,381
      Hi Robajobs :)

Guess what? I must be the first person you know who asked for a water meter - do I get a prize? :heehee:

I simply did my sums and worked out that it would save me money. They installed it for nothing and I have saved over £2,000 over the years. When some of my neighbours found how much I was saving they got meters installed as well. Some of them are saving even more than me as I tend to use quite a bit on the garden.

I also look after some handicapped people and they have all asked for water meters because it works out cheaper and even £20 a year is a lot to them, so they are quite happy about it. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
      • Robajobs

Ratings:
        +489
        Hi Shiney, I can't get my lot to turn immersion heater off nevermind them to save water! :love30: I have a wife and two daughters who, in their turn reside in the bathroom!
        Seriously, if it works for you I can't knock it!

• Robajobs

Ratings:
        +489
        Hi Kristen, I know exactly what you mean and you are spot on with your observations. I started work as an apprentice for Redpath Dorman Long, (they made the steelwork for the Sydney Harbour bridge) then a subsidery of British Steel. Guys just turned up for work an expected to get paid. They thought they had jobs for life and they'd never close it but they did. It was a shock to many of them who went into the real world after!

• Reetgood

Reetgood Gardener

Ratings:
        +111
        I want one. We're in a low rateable value property, there's just two of us, we follow water conservation basic stuff, the biggest water use is the washing machine and I'm sure our bills would be lower if we had a meter.

• shiney

Ratings:
        +118,381
        You should be able to calculate how much water you use (some water authorities give charts that tell you how much each appliance uses and what the normal tap usage a home has - or you can find it on the web) and therefore how much it would cost you on a water meter. Then compare it to how much you are paying.

In general, the lower the rateable value the less advantageous the meter is but if you don't use much water then the meter is probably right for you.

Of course, if you can't get the meter installed free, it might make a difference.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Indeed. Plenty of (say) 80-year-olds that I talk to say they can't understand the "Bonus culture" in the city. They worked for companies, enjoyed their work, took pride etc., got a salary (whether generous or not) and that was ALL they expected.

I'm all for incentive - bonus for exceeding expectations, or achieving recognisably difficult goals ... but anything else should be "salary", if it is all-but-guaranteed. Transparent then, and not open to abuse nor excessive risk taking.

Sorry: gone off on one at a slight tangent!

• Like Like x 1
        • Robajobs

Ratings:
          +489
          I completely agree. Reward for failure is a nonsense. But why in fact somone would actually want to *earn* several million pounds a year is beyond me. Yes, seriously. There must be a hell of a lot they miss out on.

Anyway, after this weekend if the Water companies haven't gathered enough water to end the hosepipe ban down south then they need an hosepipe shoving where the sun definitely don't shine!

• shiney

Ratings:
          +118,381
          Our area only draws its water from aquifers and a lot of the precipitation is not getting that deep. There is no surface collection. :doh:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          I am sure ... certain in fact ... that a man earning 10 million pounds a year is happier than one earning 9 millions pounds a year ... :)

• shiney

Ratings:
          +118,381
          I need that amount of money in order to pay all my servants, as we're not allowed slaves anymore :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
          • revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
            +36
            The secret to happiness is not getting what you want but wanting what you have got. I am certain that I am happier than some people earning 10 millions pounds a year. I am very lucky to have someone whom I love and who loves me and we both have our health, no amount of money can buy those things.

• Like Like x 2
            • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
              Ratings:
              +12,508
              Blimey, that's deep! Well said!!! A lesson for us all eh? If only....

• AstroTurf

AstroTurf Gardener

Ratings:
              +23
              I think one of the most important water conservation tips is being aware of the weather. Planning your watering times in tune with Mother Nature is a surefire way to conserve water!