1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Waterfall

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by bigbore, Jun 12, 2015.

1. bigbore

bigbore Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +756
    @ARMANDII stunning pond you have, do you have a thread with more pictures I can look at? I want a natural looking pond but being new to building a pond its like a mine field. Filter wise will be looking into gravity fed

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,101
    How about ditching the Koi and having golden Orfe instead. They dont eat the plants,dont need the filtration system,need good oxygen levels,like to shoal,spawn in the water weed,splash about in the warm weather,dont feed in winter.
    I have a small waterfall and fountain that circulates the water and helps oxygen ate it too.Depth is 3.5ft which has kept most of them alive in really long cold weather down to -20. (some died because they got gassed because the pond froze hard and for 6 weeks.)

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I know some members do have Koi in their ponds but they are fast growing, eat a lot and also produce waste a lot and, in my opinion, are not for "natural" ponds where natural means can be used to keep the balance of the water.

Hi bb, I set out to make a Wildlife pond, or as least as close as I could get, rather than a formal pond as I'm not one for straight lines and concrete. But other members have some absolutely beautiful formal ponds and love them. Like gardens, ponds are a personal thing and you can decide if you want a Wildlife pond, a Formal Pond, or a compromise/hybrid of the two. Let me just say that I started with an area of Builders wasteland in the corner of my "garden" as it was then after about 5 years of the House being built. We'd got most of the garden into a semblance of what we thought we wanted but down in the SouthWest corner we had left that area. So I done some research on water gardening, had a vague idea of how big and deep I wanted the pond to be. So, with the help of my Son-in-Law I started digging:phew: over a weekend. I was still digging on the following Wednesday!!! The pond is approximately 15' X 22' and just over 3' deep.
      I wanted it fairly deep so that during the Winters it wouldn't freeze solid and kill any fish or other inhabitants of the pond. I was also convinced that natural filtration was the way to go and not chemical or gravity type filters and, for me, it has worked fantastically well.
      I also knew I wanted to plant up the banks and marginals of the pond so as I dug out the pond I made vertical sides on 3 sides down 10" and then made a shelf at that depth 9" wide to take the baskets of marginal plants that I was going to put in to take the nutrients out of the water to keep it clear. The 4th side of the pond had a 18" slope from the bank until it dropped off to the 3' depth so that anything that fell in had a way of getting out. To make it safe as possible for the Kids I put a fence around the pond, with a gate, and then planted a jasmine hedge to soften it. Even then it looked raw and new for a season or two before the plants growing on the banks and in the marginals made it look fairly natural. I used rock I was lucky to get from Bala where they were blasting a road through a mountain. Some weighed up to 70/80 lbs and nearly broke my back and the springs of my car!! But it was worth it. I planted the rocks around the sides of the pond, leaving gaps, after covering the edges of the liner with soil and then planted between the gaps. It's amazing how fast Nature will cover the remaining bare soil of the banks by itself and I left it to do the job.
      Unfortunately, I haven't found any pics of the digging, or of it just finished but here's what some of it looks like now. I tend to concentrate on the plants etc rather than the pond itself:dunno::heehee:

The fence and gate to the pond area.
      [​IMG]

Part of the South side with Ferns, Irises, Marsh Marigolds, etc, planted.
      [​IMG]
      The garden slopes slightly from the House and so the pond, being at the bottom of the garden, is about 18* to 2' lower that the lawn. So I have a bench in the paved area which is gradually getting covered in Ivy, Jasmine, and Clematis.:heehee:
      [​IMG]
      These guys have been in the pond without upsetting the balance for some years now.
      [​IMG]
      They get on with the guys down below without too much trouble.
      [​IMG]
      Marsh Marigold in the margins. There are two forms, single and double flowered.
      [​IMG]
      Ferns have loved the semi shade and dampness of the banks along with the Flag Iris which have spread from the marginals to the banks.
      [​IMG]
      Part of the East side bank.
      [​IMG]
      Part of the Bog garden fed with water seeping through the dry brick wall.

[​IMG]
      Blue Angle Hostas liking the semi shade and damp bank
      [​IMG]

Which ever way you go in style, shape, depth, planting etc it will be your pond and I promise you it's worth the effort, the time needed to let the plants soften and make it look as though it's been there a hundred years.:snork:.

• Like Like x 6
      • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,101
        Thats a lovely well planted pond.It must be nice to be net free .

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          There have been one or two Herons around over the year, WT, but they don't seem to like landing in closely planted areas and there's no real gaps in the marginals for them to wade. I also have two Cats that, while being bossed about by the Blackbirds, Pigeons, and Tits etc, do not tolerate Magpies or Herons in the garden.:cat-kittyandsmiley:

• Funny Funny x 1
          • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,101
            Im plagued by a huge Heron and I reallymean huge when compared to others I see. It lands on the lawn and walks over to the pond and even up to the side of the house 15ft from the conservatory doors. Damn things a throw back to monster birds :gaah: Hence my 30ft net.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            They are big birds!!! I saw one while I was fishing a lake in Leicestershire last year that faced off a Swan. The Swan was taking umbrage with the Heron for being in it's territory and started approaching the Heron hissing and with it's wings outspread. The Heron straightened up, looked at the Swan and opened it's wings..............and the Swan backed off!!

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,101
            Big bird indeed.Mines the same height as my hand truck thats approx 4.25 ft-4.5ft.
            I almost caught it last year under the net but it found a hole and got away just before i got to it,what a racket it made. I will protect my fishies :fishing:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Anzia

Anzia Gardener

Ratings:
              +516
              How absolutely lovely @ARMANDII. It looks fantastic!

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Thanks, Anzia.:snork: It's on of my favourite sitting places in the garden as the Jasmine/Clematis hedge blocks views of the garden and house making it feel very snug and peaceful. Sitting there with a glass of Red and listening to the waterfall is very soothing:snork:

• Like Like x 1
              • Anzia

Anzia Gardener

Ratings:
                +516
                • Friendly Friendly x 2