1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Weathered Pink Cordyline

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Sarahlou79, Mar 9, 2021.

1. Sarahlou79

Sarahlou79 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a novice gardener and didn't realise that my Pink Cordyline would need protection from the winter elements. It's currently looking very sad indeed with lots of damaged leaves.
    Any advice welcome. The crown seems to be healthy and is sprouting new leaves. Should I cut the dead leaves back now or wait until later in the spring/ summer? IMG_20210228_121113.jpg

2. Oakapple

Oakapple Gardener

Tea and biscuit carrier
    Ratings:
    +247
    Hi,
    I have one of these, in a pot which I used to move inside (shed) in Winter for protection, but as it’s now so heavy I left it outside ( could have wrapped in in fleece but didn’t) and it’s come through fine.I have just taken off any dead leaves, and fed it.I regularly water it along with any other pots throughout Winter as they still need some moisture in long dry spells.
    Yours does seem to have a lot of damaged leaves, so if it’s in an exposed position in the garden consider wrapping it next Winter?

• Like Like x 2
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,390
      Rather than cutting off the leaves, if you're likely to have more frosts, you could gather them up around the crown and tie them loosely around it for protection. Make sure they're dry, though. That's the classic way of protecting Cordylines. With added fleece around the base and/ or bubble wrap around the pot if it gets really cold.

• Like Like x 2
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,050
        Not likely to get any weather cold enough now, until next winter, to warrant protection, if it's come this far.
        Think I would just leave it for now and cut the damaged leaves right back to the stem when growth restarts.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Sarahlou79

Sarahlou79 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +1
          Thank you everyone for your advice. Yes, I'll definitely be protecting it next winter!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +14,390
            Just a tip, Sarahlou79....if you indicate your rough location in your profile, the advice will be more tailored to your situation :)

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Texas Pete

Texas Pete Gardener

Railway
              Ratings:
              +93
              Do you know what sort of pink Cordyline it is? They appear to have variable hardiness. Charlie Boy appears to be more hardy than the pink passion / sensation variants, although it doesn't look like Charlie Boy from the picture.