1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Weed Identification Help!!

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by gardener123, May 30, 2011.

1. gardener123

gardener123 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am new to these boards today and found this very interesting forum whilst trying to identify something new that has popped up in my garden and wondered if anyone on this forum might be able to help me please?
    I would love to know what it is (even if it's a weed).
    To me they look a little like the leaves of a stock but they keep growing upwards with not a flower or bud in sight. The stems are quite thick and almost woody and there is a redish colour at the base of the plant.
    If anyone is able to identify these I would love to know.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    I think a weed and I think if I remember it has tiny pink flowers ansd feels smooth/wooly to the touch
    I know somone on here will tell you what it is

Spruce

3. gardener123

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Spruce for initial thoughts. It does feel slightly woolly to the touch but certainly no sign of any flowers yet, let alone pink. I only noticed them about a month ago and thought maybe I had planted it and forgot but they seem to be popping up at different areas in the flower bed. I have not pulled them out hoping they might be a perennial I had forgotten about but now if I find they are weeds it's going to take me quite a bit of time to get them all out :cry3:

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :scratch: If it feels slightly woolly then it is probably small Hairy Willow herb - Epilobium parviflorum as that appears commonly in gardens..
    There is also the Great Hairy Willow herb Epilobium Hirsutum or another name is Codlins & Cream, but they can get to 3-4ft tall & only usually found around edges of fields, woodlands etc... I think they are both smashing plants in their own ways & in their place.. The greater one being very invasive & no medicinal uses at all in fact is the opposite, but are one of the main foods for the Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar .. :sunny:

• Like Like x 1
    • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,385
      ive got some aswell and some that dont feel furry to touch which look similar so ive pulled them ones out but kept the furry ones lol so il be interested to find out aswell x:)

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      The ones that don't feel furry may well be the Broadleaved Willow herb Epilobium montanum joolz

• Like Like x 1
      • gardener123

Ratings:
        +0
        Thanks everyone for your suggestions - looks like I might be busy tomorrow trying to get rid of all these weeds.

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        Whilst young I do find them easy to pull up; especially after all the rain we had yesterday...:D

We have a 'wild' strip along one fence though where I leave them be as they are quite attractive wildflowers..:thumb:

• Like Like x 1