Weed killer & lawn feed advice ?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Portisgrass, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Portisgrass

Portisgrass Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hello eveyone.
    Can anyone advise on a good combined weed killer and lawn feed? Is there such a thing? I need to do around 50/60 m2 of lawn.

Or better to use weed killer first?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
    +599
    I'm not a big fan of feed and weed products, but that's only a personal preference after a relative used it and killed all my tomato plants as well as half his bedding plants. Must have been a bit too windy.

If you have moss in the grass, feed and weed will turn it black and it will look unsightly so you'll have to scarify/rake out with a spring tine rake and maybe put some seed down if bare patches appear.

You can buy feed and weed as powder/dranules in containers with a spout that disperses it in a line as you walk. Most packages say not to shake it side to side. A more efficient way (and cost effective in the long-term) is with a spreader and buying a bigger box of it. I've seen the same product on sale for £10 for approx 5 kg and only a couple of quid more for three times the quantity on the same shelf in a local gardening warehouse. If you buy a spreader, it's best to get one that disperses the product straight onto the ground rather than in an arc as it can easily being fired all over and end up indescriminately 'weeding' plants you don't want to weed as it's kills many broadleaf plants and fertilizes just grass.

Unless a lawn ir heavily infested with weeds, a selective lawn weedkiller (i.e. it doesn't kill grass) followed later by a lawn fertilizer may be a safer option but that's just my approach. I find the Weedol Lawn Weedkiller spray in a green bottle brilliant. You can see a visible difference to dandleions within only a day or two and much stronger weedkillers can take a couple of weeks or more to notice the same results. This stuff must contain something as well as bog standard Glyphosate that most other weedkillers consist of.

3. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Not all weed and feed contains iron to tackle moss. If you are using a weed and feed with iron you need to apply at max recommended dose to tackle moss but even then a heavy infestation of moss will only take a hit from the low iron percentage in the product.
    If you want to tackle weeds and use a fertiliser only product then using the fert first promotes growth not only to the grass but the weeds too. You then spray the weeds and as the weed is actively growing the herbicide has a better rate of kill.
    The only way a weed and feed ends up in the borders is from using a broadcast spreader, either applying to close to the border or failing to use a guard if one can be fitted.
    There will be no Glyphosate in a lawn herbicide as that's a total herbicide. As with all products read the label and instructions first and use the correct product.

• Like Like x 1
    • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,078
      Soluble iron sulphate is cheap and effective on the moss and a tub will last you years.Just as welll because moss just keeps coming back :rolleyespink:

• Like Like x 1
      • Liz the pot

Ratings:
        +1,259
        Have a peep here.
        https://www.lovethegarden.com/advice/lawn-care/tools/lawn-spreader-settings

Look at the first one on the product side, it's called Complete and then the spreader called Evengreen. Note the setting 6.
        The drop spreader comes with instruction on how to use it, it's got a trigger to pull in to open the drop and is very easy to use.
        All Scott's fert for domestic use include the settings to make life easier. The technique of using the spreader takes a little bit of work but it's not too hard. It's as easy as it gets to be honest. Don't forget it may take several applications with a set period in-between to hit the weeds and not all weeds are covered by it but it's a good starting point.
        Tips is don't fill the spreader on your lawn, don't walk on the lawn until it's well watered in and avoid spills on say patios. Iron stains so keep off the grass but the instructions on the product for you.
        Word of warning, granular feeds if applied too much scorch where as if you use a liquid based fert you stand less chance of this as long as you follow the instructions.
        Most weed and feeds use a fairly high Nitrogen level as indicated on the NPK. You will see an increase in growth. This creates a flush of growth which helps to fill in areas of weed growth. This does depend on the grass type and just how much weed is there. It's the high N which will result in scorching if you apply to heavy.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
      • Portisgrass

Portisgrass Gardener

Ratings:
        +15
        So,I decided on Scotts verdone extra to kill the weeds. It doesn't appear to be working too hard though!!
        The weeds are going strong after 3 weeks.
        Attached is a picture. Can I use more or something else?? Why don't they die......

Attached Files:

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
        +1,259
        Was this a pre mixed mixture or did you have to mix with water?
        Looks like they are flowering but the photo is hard to see on my iPad.
        What were the conditions like when you sprayed them?

Can you photograph the weed so it's nice and clear to see. Some weeds or plants are resilient to some chemicals but let's see what you are tackling first.

• Portisgrass

Portisgrass Gardener

Ratings:
        +15
        DSC_0411.JPG DSC_0412.JPG I used verdone extra liquid to mix in the watering can. Weather wasn't hot, it was a damp day from memory.

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
        +1,259
        Damp day is a no no as the chemical need to dry on the plant. If you applied it while it was wet the chances are it's not had much success. Also check you have the right amount of chemical to water for use in a watering can.