1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Weeds in Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by E Stevenson, Sep 9, 2020.

1. E Stevenson

E Stevenson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Recently with the help of father in law we have applied weed killer to the weeds on my lawn, which seems to be working. I am now left with a garden with far too many patches after looking mainly on the internet it seems best to take out weed and replace with compost and seeds.

I just wanted to find out if that is the only solution and if so whats the best options as all my previous attempts at fixing lawn patches the grass have never grown.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,548
    If you can take a picture of the lawn for us it would help a great deal as to the best method of repairing it. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • E Stevenson

Ratings:
      +3
      A7ACEEBE-5734-45C8-B83E-DB191B2A2F2C.jpeg EEEF88D0-A2A5-4BC2-A5A5-251531F77466.jpeg 1D2BA4AD-5E15-4D35-89EA-F570A96304F7.jpeg Thanks for coming back to me sheal please see pictures attached.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,548
      Thanks. That's exactly what I've done to get rid of some stubborn weeds from one of my lawns recently. :) Ordinary lawn weeds like dandelions, daisies and clover can be killed with Weedol lawn weed killer without damaging the lawn. It works very well but will take several weeks to be effective and may need a second application. The weeds must be actively growing but it's a bit late in the year to use it now with Autumn upon us and growth slowing down.

I assume you have used a systemic killer like Round-up that contains glyphosate, the same as I have. Unfortunately it will kill or damage almost everything it touches. There are three ways you can deal with the damage. The first as you say is to re-seed with some topsoil or compost. Another way is much longer and that is to wait for the grass around the dead patches to grow back over them, that could take months and probably over to next year with growth now slow. The only other way is to patch with pieces of turf.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • E Stevenson

Ratings:
        +3
        Thanks for the reply yes used round-up, I think I will try the patch route as I have never had success previously with reseeding. Is it better to use compost or topsoil and also will I need to regularly water garden if so I will purchase a sprinkler.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,548
        Grass is more resilient than we think. :) I've patched with turf taken from a different area of the garden in the past and pressed it down onto the bare patches with my foot, watering when it's dry. I suggest you spike with a fork, drop a little compost on the area and then patch with the turf, firming it down. If you have a lot of patches then the sprinkler may be worth while, or just water in each patch with a watering can or hose.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • E Stevenson

Ratings:
          +3
          Thanks I started some patching yesterday prior to reply so used top soil instead of compost is that an issue?

The work was a lot harder than I expected, please see attached pictures your view would be most appreciated. Apologies for adding so many photos.

I have watered this morning hopefully sprinkler will arrive this weekend.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,548
            That looks good to me. :thumbsup: Using topsoil or compost is okay. I said compost because if you have to buy it, it's cheaper than topsoil.

It's time consuming isn't it? The small jobs always seem to take a long time. :)

• Agree Agree x 1