1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What did you have for dinner?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by al n, Sep 19, 2013.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,355
    @Loki

I certainly do! :blue thumb: I remember it in its many incarnations, not right back to its original time in the 1890s but from when it was the Lodore Swiss Hotel owned by Bob England, his wife, son and daughter-in-law. I think they sold it to Stakis around 30 years ago and it has been sold/taken over a couple of times since.

I used to be asked to take some of their guests on walks around there :) (I used to take small groups on walks in the area and still have one of my books on walks on sale up there - I only allow it to be sold for charity nowadays).

One of our other members has links to the place. There's a famous poem by Robert Southey (Poet Laureate a couple of hundred years ago) called 'The Cataract of Lodore' and Southey was an ancestor of @roders wife. :dbgrtmb:

It's a small world. :biggrin:

They're certainly taking a long time building the spa. Must be a couple of years now.

Just down the road from there is a small hotel/guest house called Hazel Bank. This was the fictional home of Rogue Herries - hero of the series of historical novels by Hugh Walpole (who also lived near there).

Sorry, I've gone off topic. :doh:

• Like Like x 3
      Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    • shiney

Ratings:
      +118,355
      No, they were just brought out on a plate as an hors d'oeuvres as we sat on the settees in the bar area and looked at the menu. The pretentious restaurants now call hors d'oeuvres 'amuse bouche' :noidea:

They used to come out piping hot as the tiny Yorkshire puds had just been baked, the hot gravy poured in and a freshly carved piece of roast beef (about 1" square) popped in the middle with a tiny blob (technical cookery terminology :heehee:) of fresh horseradish sauce on top.

• Like Like x 3
      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,610
        I'm a big pud/beef/gravy gal and this sounds like a fun project. Of course there would be a side dish of horse radish.

I've already got just about every size and shape baking pan so it would be an inexpensive experiment. Thanks for sharing :)

• Like Like x 3
        • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,414
          I once stopped for coffee at the Lodore Falls Hotel.

G.

• Like Like x 4
          • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +6,948
            The Just stayed at the Lordore Falls hotel Loki/Shiney wish I had known that you had a relative there Loki we would have tried to find him.
            We have stayed there before a time or two mainly because of where it is situated just below Catbells just outside Keswick a stones throw from the lake Derwentwater to catch a boat and the bus stops right outside the hotel where we can use our bus pass to anywhere.
            It is a very cosy hotel ,many nooks and crannies and if it rains all day you know you have an outstanding meal to look forward to in the evening.

I am not sure of the future with this massive extension and spa (not into Spas though) the building certainly not in keeping with the old traditional part of the hotel and a state of the art Mizu Pan Asian Cuisine Restaurant seems impressive.
            They have obviously done their market research .

Photos.........What do you think.
            I think they will make it work.
            Just under the bridge are the Lordore Falls that we’re not gushing as usual due to the drought...........yes a drought in the Lake District.

2CCBC4BE-3681-47A1-916E-CB2D0582C5DD.jpeg

43CB42E9-9F3F-4B2C-B345-244D12FAA4EE.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
            • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,092
              Wow, @shiney , @Jack Sparrow and @roders , small world indeed.
              My eldest was telling me the spa is supposed to be finished next month! Can't see it myself :heehee: and I know what you mean about it not being in keeping with the hotel, I think the wood might weather though :dunno: and the stonework is nice. A lot depends on the landscaping I guess.
              Shiney, an author, I had no idea! I thought you might know it if you knew the area but didn't expect such close ties to it.
              It is a beautiful part of the world, I love all of Cumbria :wub2:
              Off topic sorry :redface:

Tonight is chicken kohlapuri ( curry again :snorky: )
              Getting back to Yorkshires, I used to do mini toad in the holes when the kids where younger. Just chopped up the sausage into bite size pieces , cooked first, then in the tins with the batter:blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
              • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +8,435
                I had a cup of tea & a slice of birthday cake :whistle:....I wasn’t hungry

• Like Like x 1
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,355
                  @Loki

Do you marinate the chicken in the spices first?

• Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,092
                  Hi @shiney , no I don't normally. Some recipes I will, but very few. It's usually just thrown together :heehee:
                  To be honest, most currries I cook are are out of cook books, they've been tweaked over the years but I've stuck with the methods.
                  This how it usually goes-
                  Hubby gets in from work, says what are you making for tea?
                  I reply what are you making for tea?
                  We see to our kids, homework, lunch boxes etc ( I've already fed them by now)
                  3hours later we say to each other shall we just have curry?
                  I say you chop the chicken, I'll cook :dbgrtmb:
                  Then we finally eat at silly o' clock :heehee: Not the typical set up, granted, but it works for us :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,355
                    @Loki

My favourite time :dbgrtmb: :snorky:

As I'm a foodie I make all my own curry powders and pastes so I only marinate the chicken if it's chicken breast (rarely use it). I do that to get the flavour into the chicken as it can't be cooked for long. My preference is to use thighs which can be put into the sauce and cooked for a long time. :blue thumb:

I enjoy cooking most things but Indian is my favourite. I may have posted this before but it was the last big Indian meal I cooked - for 36 cousins.

P1380231.JPG

P1380230.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                    • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +4,092
                      Looks fabulous @shiney
                      I never use ready made spice mixes or pastes either and mainly use breast for the quick cooking time, see above,:heehee: I make my own Garam masala and grind spices, when needed in my trusty coffee grinder :biggrin:
                      I love cooking a feast, I do a mean chickpea curry and mushroom bhaji, not in anyway traditional.:noidea: I really need to up my bread skills though :whistle:
                      I can cook focaccia, ciabatta, white loaf :), even sourdough , before I killed my starter :yikes:.
                      My Indian bread skills are limited to roti :huh:

Any recipes you would like to share? Your food looks mouth watering :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +118,355
                        I rarely make any breads. :noidea:

I don't really use any recipes for the curries as I chuck in what I feel like at the time but I did this one for someone to use for a dinner party.

SHINEY’S SPECIAL CURRY RECIPE

4 tablespoons oil
                        4 med/large onions
                        8 oz. tomatoes - fresh or canned
                        3 lb. lean meat cut in 1” cubes
                        3 cloves garlic
                        1 stick cinnamon 2’~ long
                        8 cloves
                        6 Bay leaves
                        1 level tablespoon coriander
                        8 pods cardamom
                        1 oz. fresh ginger
                        2 or 3 tablespoons curry powder
                        ½ tablespoon garam masala
                        Tamarind (optional)
                        Salt
                        1 cup yoghourt or a can of 75% coconut milk - if required
                        3 cups cleaned Basmati rice
                        Fresh coriander (separate the leaves from the stems)

METHOD:

Chop onions, crush garlic and cook in oil until golden brown. Put in meat and stir continuously for 3 - 4 minutes on medium heat. Add bay leaves. Chop or grate ginger. The spices (cinnamon, coriander and cloves together with the seeds from cardamom pods) can be stirred on a hot dry pan for 20 seconds (it releases the aromatic oils) and (The ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, coriander and cloves can then be put in a liquidizer with ¼ cup water on fast speed). Stir in to the meat.

Chop tomatoes and mix in. If necessary, add water to just cover meat and simmer for 30 minutes adding more water when necessary. Add chopped coriander stems.

Tamarind juice can be added if you like the slight acidic flavour it gives. I much prefer it to vinegar or lemon.

Put in curry powder (2 tablespoons only) but if you make your own curry powder, as I do, then you will need less as you won’t have any ‘fillers’ in it (bought curry powders tend to have potato flour or similar), Garam Masala and ½ teaspoon of salt, simmer till meat is tender. As the powders thicken the curry, it may be necessary to add water occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Before serving, taste to see if there is enough salt. If not, add salt in very small quantities until suitable. If a stronger flavour is required, the third spoon of curry powder may be added but must be cooked for at least 10 minutes before serving.

If yoghourt is being used, put ¼ cup yoghourt in liquidiser instead of water and add the rest 10 minutes after the curry powder has been put in.

Put fresh chopped coriander leaves in a bowl for people to sprinkle on their curry if they like it.

Serve with boiled Basmati rice

Side dishes can be: curried vegetables, e.g. – potato/cauliflower etc.
                        Popadoms, chapattis , salad

• Like Like x 2
                        • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +4,092
                          Thanks:dbgrtmb: recipe sounds brilliant, out interest what curry powder do you use? Or make?
                          Just seen how late it is, sorry:redface:

• shiney

Ratings:
                          +118,355
                          When I make my own curry powders I tend to do them in bulk but this is the typical mixture

5 tbs. coriander seed
                          4 tbs. cumin seed
                          1 tsp. fennel seed
                          2 tsp. ginger powder (I rarely use this as I use fresh ginger in the curries)
                          2 pieces whole cardamom (black)
                          2 tsp. white poppy seed
                          2 tbs. fenugreek seed
                          3 tbs. turmeric powder
                          1 tsp. cloves
                          2 tbs. paprika
                          1 tbs. chilli power - but I use fresh chillies in the curries

I rarely use bought curry powders (only if cooking large curries such as in the two big pots above - to save time). I use one that the Indian restaurants tend to use when bulking out a curry. It's made by TRS (they do bulk whole, and ground, spices with supposedly :th scifD36: no fillers to make up the weight) they also, now, sell retail size packets of about 100gm.

I keep some of their 'Mild Madras' for when I need to save time making a large curry. That mix contains coriander, turmeric (which I think they say helps to bulk out the powder - I quite often use turmeric in other dishes as it's also a healthy spice), chilli, mustard, Cumin, Fenugreek, garlic, fennel and salt.

They say all their spices come from Madras but I know they roast, grind and package them in Southall. :heehee:

For diabetics - they don't add any sugar to the powder.

• Like Like x 1
                          • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +5,414
                            I had taken a coach party down to the village at the foot of Scafell Pike. I can't remember it's name and I'm too lazy to look it up. The village consisted of a row of cottages and a very small, smokey pub ram packed with ramblers. There was nowhere for anybody to go. It would have also cost me £5 to park in the National Trust car park. We had past the Lodore Falls Hotel on the way in and had to pass it on the way back so we stopped for coffees etc. This must have been 2005/6 ish at a guess.

G.

• Like Like x 2