1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

what do plants grown in

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by hi2u_uk, Apr 12, 2022.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,064
    You would probably need 6ft if you had koi carp.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,064
      This is just a gardening thread it will be more spectacular when they make the movie. :thumbsup:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
        +31
        The picture i posted today above is the pond/trench filled in . its just i never measured it unfilled. It was the landscaper who said it was 6ft deep i never actually looked. But its just occurred to me yesterday that 6ft is deep but i guess its possible to be so deep . Im basically worried that this landscaper is taking me for a ride and am thinking of asking him to stop working as im beginning to loose faith in what he is saying and doing

OK this is reassuring but the pond has been covered with a shed for about 7 years. Were people keeping koi carp over 7 years ago

i hope not :thud:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
      • pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,064
        Yes people have been keeping koi for many years.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
          Ratings:
          +4,578
          You said that the trench is 3m x 3m and the landscaper reckons it was 6ft deep. How big of an area, sqm did the slabs cover? Going by those measurements that is an 18 cubic metre hole, it must of been quite a large slabbed area to fill the hole. In general a skip hire company will only send an 8 yard skip for stone, rubble soil etc etc due to the weight. An 8 yard skip is about 6 cubic metres, so if the hole measurements are correct you would of needed 3 skips to remove the lot, which would cost about £150 plus per skip.

Are they genuine landscapers, did they come with recommendations? or are they just an odd job operation.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
            +31

To be honest im getting concerned about them as on each of the two occasions they have come they have asked for money despite saying to me at the very first meeting that they dont need payment until the job was complete. I just cant afford to pay more until the job is complete. They also said they would be taking the slabs away for recycling. Neither of these things has been happening. I found them from the checkatrade website so it had recommendations there. I posted a picture of the filled area but its not just slabs in it , theres rubble and goodness knows what else in the hole now.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
              +611
              I would be wary of them I think i tell them to go it sounds they looking for more money off you and making excuses but if you not happy you can report them mention it to checkatrade after all its their reputation involved

• Agree Agree x 1
              • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                Ratings:
                +4,578
                I don't blame you, I wouldn't be happy. I supply the horticultural trade and some landscapers, especially those who are hard landscapers are finding it hard to give quotes for jobs due to spiraling price increases. Some are booked up for months, they can't even give a quote for any future work.

If they said they were taking away the slabs, then that would of been included in the quote, skip hire etc included. Now, if the hole is deep as they say it was, I can understand them putting some of the rubble in, but not all of it, that then should of been reduced from the bill. I doubt the trench was 6ft deep, who in the right mind would put a shed over a hole that deep, I get the feeling they are taking the mick.

Do you have anything in writing about the work they are supposed to do.?

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                  Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
                • hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
                  +31
                  the only thing i had was a text after they came to view the work. The price has now increased from that. The shed had already been removed with only the base floor of the shed remaining.The main thing i wanted them to do was to lay new paving stones over the area of the garden that did not have a shed. I thought that just removing the floor of the shed and filling it with soil so i had a green area would have been simple and not controversial

Just a minor point, the people doing the work i,e removing the old paving are south asian , polite but barely speak any english, they are being directed by some guy from the British Isles who pops in every hour or 2. I actually thought the guy who visited would be doing the work not contracting it out like this but thats not a huge issue for me. Although im sure one was asking me for old shoes as the ones he was wearing were too tight.

Im thinking of asking them to email me a quote stating the price of the work and that it wont be paid until completion. Is this unreasonable ? If they dont then i dont know if i want them to continue. They are due to come back on Thursday with the new paving slabs but im wondering if they dont agree to send a quote will i be able to keep the slabs as im assuming this is what the deposit is for. Even with the slabs people are telling me that i should have ordered the colour i want from where i want and paid for it myself not give them the money for the slabs.
                  The fact that im worrying about their work is not a good. sign . I should have confidence in what they are doing and understand their vision but i just worry that this will be over budget and cause problems in the long term

• pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +86,064
                  I think you need to stop them now and as much as it goes against the grain pay up and finish it.
                  Then take it up with check a trade, not sure what they would do other than maybe strike them out of the book.
                  Take lots of photos.

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
                    Ratings:
                    +4,578
                    Yes, it would be of been wise to choose and pay for the slabs from a builders merchant direct. Sometimes a landscaper might getting a better deal if they are purchasing large volumes for different clients, but do they pass that on or pocket it. I don't mind paying a tradesman for work done, however I would be well cheesed off it they made a markup on the parts as well as charging me labour on a high hourly rate.

My advice, "don't throw good money after bad".

• Like Like x 1
                      Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
                    • pete

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +86,064
                      It's beginning to sound like slave labour, the workers might be illegals.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
                        +31
                        This did occur to me but to be honest this was the issue that i am least worried about. It more all the other points

Again this did occur to me and he is definitely not passing any savings on to me as he is wanting me to pay twice the "estimate".

• pete

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +86,064
                        The point is if, and I say if he is using illegal workers he is obviously a dishonest trader,and probably needs reporting.
                        He sounds dodgy and best to get rid before the bill rises any more.

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
                          +31
                          I have asked them to come pick up their tools. Im afraid i dont have confidence in this company :sad:. They are expected to come on Thursday.

Needless to say im apparently the one who is wasting their time

• Friendly Friendly x 5
                            Last edited: Apr 19, 2022