1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

what do plants grown in

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by hi2u_uk, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,594
    If your property is pre WW2 then there's every chance the 'pond' was the base of an Anderson shelter. My parents had an area at the same depth which contained one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
      Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
      Ratings:
      +6,780
      When I stayed in Burntisland the guy next door put red chips all the way down the side of his house, from the street to the rear perimeter fence. Anyone moving in will think they could lift them and plant. They will be in for a shock. He dug the area out with a JCB and then filled it with three truckloads of graduated hardcore before rolling it flat. The drive has as good a base as the M8. As evidence, he used to park a fully laden 10 wheeler dump truck on it with not a dent in the surface.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
        +31
        It was built before 1900, so i guess this is possible

• Like Like x 3
        • hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
          +31
          i asked him to stop working, i got the whole drivel about him being upset and not understanding why i wanted him to stop. I gave him £500 on the day as well as what was already paid. My back garden is effectively a mess now. Its just soil with a trench full of rubble at the other end. This has been an expensive learning experience :cry3:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,140
            I think you have done the right thing to pay him off, you could have been paying a lot more in the end for a job that probably needs doing again properly.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,594
              If it's any consolation I think many of us have been in a similar situation at some point. As you say an expensive learning experience.

Have you thought on your next move? If you intend to hire someone else to put it right, may I suggest getting a Groundworker to look at it. Cheaper than landscapers and more in tune with what needs to be done.

• hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
              +31
              Basically the end of the garden furthest from the house is where the trench filled with rubble is The area closest to the house has had all paving stones removed so is a just dirt ,sand and a light covering of stone. I therefore think that the trench area will have to be paved and then the area closest to the house will be a green planting area with a path down the middle leading to the paved area. This is not what I wanted as I wanted to step out into a paved patio area not to step out of the house onto a green area however I think its going to be expensive to dig out all the rubble from the trench.

I will have to find someone to do this . I have noticed one or two houses which have a sign of a landscape builder outside so I guess this means that a builder has done some work for them . I will post a note through their house asking them to email me with info on the quality of work as I don’t feel happy to knock on a strangers door to ask if their landscapers work was any good

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,932
                I'd still be inclined to go for the original plan,of course its going to cost,but you need the paved area where you want it, rather than settling for something you are not keen on.

Think I'd start by getting a couple of quotes for just laying a patio and for the mean time forget the hole with the old slabs in it.

Then if you get on well with the new landscaper ask for a price or recommendations on what he thinks would work at the top end of the garden.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
                  +31
                  Yes im really not keen on the paved area being on the other side.
                  The only problem is that i have messaged all the local landscapers that i wanted to and although around 10 came round none apart from the one i used actually put their quote in writing although the one i used put the quote in a text which turned out not to be a quote :sad:.
                  Ive tried messaging other landscapers who are a little bit further away but all have replied to say that im outwith their travel limits:gaah: . I guess i could try looking for local general builders though as the local neighbourhood webpage has recommended one to me

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +85,932
                    Well if that is the case you can ask for estimates.
                    But go for them just doing part of it for now, until you find out how they perform.
                    Also go,as you mentioned down the route of getting word of mouth recommendations.
                    I can't think any one would mind if you complimented them on the look of their garden and then asked who did the work for them.

• Like Like x 1
                    • hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
                      +31
                      Hello can you or someone send me a link to a geotextile , when you say geotextile do you mean weed fabric membrane e.g like

https://www.screwfix.com/p/apollo-heavy-duty-weed-control-fabric-14-x-1m/93943

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                      Ratings:
                      +118,465
                      Just as a pointer (too late to help with your problem):- If anyone is going to have any substantial work done they should get a written quote on headed paper or by email with the tradesman's details, not an estimate, and also ask to see the tradesman's public liability insurance. A quote is a fixed price but an estimate is not and they always tend to have more costs added. By agreement, with a quote, you can change things by what is called a variation order. This allows for both sides to agree the price for extra work.

If possible always pay by credit card and definitely not cash. Paying by credit card gives you Section 75 protection and if anything goes wrong or is not done as per the quote the credit card company is, by law, jointly liable and you can get your money back from them. A debit card doesn't give you the same protection but can give a small amount of protection if the card company wishes.

I hope things turn out OK for you. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • hi2u_uk

hi2u_uk Gardener

Ratings:
                        +31
                        thanks im just going to hire 2 labourers and pay them daily at the end of the day. I will be buying everything else myself so i know where the money is going

Ive found the geotextile membrane but would a woven one or non woven one be best to put on top of the rubble before putting soil down :gaah:

Attached Files: