1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you grow in containers?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by merleworld, Mar 2, 2014.

1. CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,523
    A homeless red dwarf rhodo that was dying in the border and has since revived, some gladioli, a fuschia and geranium together, a president clematis (not doing great might plant it out) my treasured regal pelargoniums, an asiatic lily, an unknown rose and two agapanthus. Oh and some livingstone daisies, petunias and self seeded viola which are good friends. The first 2 were from a seed disc which worked really well and filled 2 borders after pricking out.

2. maggiev

maggiev Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +31
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • maggiev

maggiev Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +31
      Similar passage way between conservatory and next doors fence. Lots of farsigia bamboos, roses, and portugese laurel.

• Marie Kelly

Marie Kelly Apprentice Gardener

Retired due to disability
      Ratings:
      +7
      1st year with pots, actually 1st year trying to garden! I have a lovely fushia, hydrangea, a couple of lilacs and some pansies, but I am just about to plant some honeysuckle and jasmine plugs, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do? Any advice?

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Hello Marie - everyone has to have a 1st year at gardening . So ask away on here if you have any questions, you should get an answer 99% of the time :thumbsup:
      I don't really plant anything but bulbs from now to the beginning of December , but I would think honeysuckle and jasmine plugs will be fine in a container . Just use good quality multi purpose compost and then water them in . They won't need feeding until next spring .

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Marie Kelly

Marie Kelly Apprentice Gardener

Retired due to disability
        Ratings:
        +7
        Thank you, I have been trawling the internet trying to find some answers, so glad I joined!

• hydrogardener

hydrogardener Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +4,815
        Regarding olives: Zigs is looking for bats or moths to pollinate his tree.

Not all olive varieties are self pollinating, and, I believe they are wind pollinated.
        Many varieties of olive trees are self pollinating, but there are several varieties that are not and will not produce fruit without a pollinizer. Manzanillo, Mission and Ascolano to name a few, all require pollinators. The tiny pollen grains can float hundreds of miles on the wind, that is why there are a few thousand different cultivars.

I have more than twenty young trees of various varietals in containers, and I get olives, not many, but the trees are young. The trees are now indoors for the winter, as we are having really cold weather and the greenhouse has been closed. They will be grown in my indoor greenhouses under LED grow lights until spring, with the photoperiod set to local sunrise/sunset. They usually flower in late winter, mid February or so. I bat the branches around to distribute pollen, and also use Q-Tips to pollinate the flowers. It is amazing how much pollen those tiny flowers produce.

Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
        • hydrogardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,815
          Hydroponic gardening is a passion, and is of course in containers. I can not think of much I have not grown in containers, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, flowers and on and on. In addition to the olives I have, from left to right, salad bowl, beet greens and chard, with Romaine waiting in the wings.

[​IMG]

• hydrogardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,815
          The Koroneiki olive tree is flowering, so I am hand pollinating it with an artist brush. The Abrequina olive tree will have open flowers within the next few days, which I will also pollinate. I will also cross pollinate both plants to see if that increases the number of olives that set.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1