1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What on earth can I do with this large Yucca ?

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Floyd, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Floyd

Floyd Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have had this yucca for about 20 years but, due to my own mismanagement, it has grown very awkwardly....

A few years ago I had to remove one of the 4 'branches' (sorry, don't know what the technical term is!). And I have tried to straighten the remaining growth but there has been so much growth that it has all fallen over to one side.

It must be a common scenario so I'm hoping you can advise:

• how can I straighten up the limbs?
    • can I cut them back and start again?
    • can I promote new growth lower down on the plant?

I don't want to destroy the plant but its become a bit 'ugly' in the corner of the room and its alomst touching the ceiling now so your advice would be welcomed!

thanks, Floyd

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    Dont think you can straighten it, looks like its growing towards the light.

You can cut the stem back and it will resprout and also root the pieces you cut off.

3. Floyd

Ratings:
    +2
    thanks Pete.

I have been turning the plant but perhaps not as often as it requires.

How far down can I cut?

And I can just plant the cuttings from the 3 'branches' into a pot to see if they will root themselves?

Last question, the 4th branch is most definitely dead but is it possible to get new growth elsewhere on the plant?

many thanks,

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    You can cut the main stem if you want to, its basically up to you and how tall you want the plant to be, it will then shoot from the top few inches.

Yuccas are very good at reproducing themselves , so pretty much any piece of stem of any reasonable length is capable of rooting and growing.
    All I would say is let the cut dry, for a week, before trying to root, otherwise it will probably rot, which is the main problem with rooting them.
    So gritty compost, and careful watering, warmth and good light should get the cuttings off to a good start.
    I'd just say, its probably the last opportunity to get cuttings rooted, the days are getting shorter and that means growth is slowing.

5. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Gardener

Ratings:
    +583
    I agree with Pete. I have experience of cutting my yucca. Just cut the main stem at the height of approximately 20 - 30 cm from the soil and leave it their to give new shoots. IMG_20200123_162429.jpg IMG_20200123_162420.jpg Then take all 4 cuttings and put them into water to grow roots. When roots are long enough you can plant them.
    My yucca became too tall with only one stem when I decided to cut the top off it. Now it has 5 branches.

6. Floyd

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Pete and Black Orchid.

I'll take those cuttings.
    Just one question with the green cuttings - seems there is a difference of opinion - do I let them dry before potting or put them in water (to root) once cut? Or are both options viable?

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,077
    I've never rooted yucca in water, so that's why I said dry the cut end off before potting.
    If Black Orchid says they root in water I'm not going to dispute that. :)

Plant growing is not an exact science.

8. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Gardener

Ratings:
    +583
    I believe Pete is a more experienced gardener than me.
    I cut my Yucca only once and put cuttings into water. It is from my experience. But it's me I like to experiment.
    In your case you will have more than 4 cuttings. So you can try either Pete's method for all your cuttings as Pete, I am sure, a much more experienced gardener than me, or try my method at least with one cutting.
    But please do not forget to tell us about your experience later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Floyd

Ratings:
      +2
      Will do! Thanks

• Like Like x 1