1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What`s this weed?!

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Krista, Apr 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    Doh! Walked into that one, didn't I?!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Ariadae

Ariadae Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +679
      Girding my loins for the ground elder battle today, with my new border fork :gaah::gaah::gaah:

• Like Like x 4
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,351

You need to be very careful with ground elder. The problem is that the roots break into lots of pieces when digging them and a new plant grows from each one :yikes:. If you're going to dig them then you should dig deep, lift the whole chunk of soil that's on the fork and put it on some plastic. Then you need to painstakingly sift through the soil to remove any tiny piece of root. The root will be very white.

It took us a few years to clear an area about 20ft x 4ft but we almost totally eradicated it that way. We still get an occasional plant appearing and it gets removed immediately. If it's by another plant then that plant is removed and all the soil is taken off the roots before replanting.

Drastic measures but they works. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Krista

Krista Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +26
          It`s taken a while but I`ve found an organic or at least a Bio-degradeable that kills this bugger :). I can`t promise you won`t find it elsewhere if you`ve let a bit flower of course and I can`t promise it`s a perfect solution but it keeps it manageable for those of us that WON`T use Roundup. Neudorff (Superfast & Long-lasting)(well the former IS true-the latter remains to be seen by me anyway)Weedkiller. Maybe others of you know this product?

• Like Like x 1
          • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
            Ratings:
            +3,254
            Years ago we were all told Round up was safe and became inert when it hit the ground.
            We used stuff on carrot for carrot fly..cannot remember the name...we were told it was not harmful.
            That was until it was banned.
            Which is why I try to avoid all chemicals.. I would however make the exception for Knot weed.

• Like Like x 1
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +118,351
              We've survived over 50 years of gardening with virtually no use of chemicals but there are exceptions.

One of them, like Silver Surfer, would be Knot weed, but fortunately we don't have it.

What we do use nowadays is Vine Weevil killer, but not on the plants in the garden. We sell plants for charity (we expect to sell over a thousand plants this weekend on our Open Garden) and we have to make sure that we aren't selling livestock as well :snork:.

The only other time we used a chemical was when there was a plague of Viburnum beetle all over the country. We have some very large Viburnums that were infested and none of the neighbours had it. So, taking advice on the matter, we used a Viburnum beetle killer so that the problem didn't spread. It worked. :dbgrtmb:

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
              Ratings:
              +14,125
              Well all i can say is I have battled ground elder for 40 odd years here... I also use no chemicals... Neither of them are the gardeners friend as the tiniest bit of stem or root left in the ground will root again.... Enchanters is just as much a problem as ground elder... If you have an extensive amounts of both I would say 2 doses of glyphosate will probably get most of it... You will find not a lot will grow straight after glyphosate.. Good Luck but my advice is get on top of both asap.....

• Like Like x 2
              • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
                Ratings:
                +3,254
                That is a fantastic effort shiney.
                To grow all those plants and sell them for charity if a wonderful thing to do.
                I hope the sun shines for you this weekend and you sell out.
                Wish I lived nearer.
                These Open Garden plant sales always have lovely plants..different plants...and so much cheaper than the big garden centres.
                Good luck...to you and Mrs shiney and all the folk that you need to help cope with the stampede!.

• Agree Agree x 3
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,351
                  Thank you, @Silver surfer :grphg:

If we count each individual plant we must have nearly 3,000 :rolleyespink:, but a few hundred of those are runner beans. Our prices for plants are quite cheap but we'd rather sell them cheaper and make sure they go to good homes. People that come to our event are all keen gardeners, from very experienced to novices. Mrs Shiney spend a lot of her time at the plant sales tables giving advice. :blue thumb:

I've just been pricing the runner beans and we're charging only £1.50 per dozen and they're between 18" and 36" tall already because of the hot weather!

We're expecting about 500 people to turn up. :phew:

• Like Like x 2
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Krista

Krista Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                    +26
                    FINALLY!! :yahoo:,after about 18months! I happened across it at `The Tortoise Table`.You always find stuff when you`re not looking for it,sometimes when ur looking for something else -well don`t you? It`s the Chameleon Plant (Houttuynia cordata).90% certain. You`ll have to Google it for pics because I can`t see a way to download their photos but it`s the red-edged leaves that are convincing me. Now tell me Enchanters Nightshade has that too! It`s still a nuisance whatever it`s name and I`m still controlling it just fine with organic weedkiller too :snorky:

• Like Like x 2
                    • Informative Informative x 1