1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What Veg do you sow direct vs. raise plants?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Kristen, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I've always thought the cells of modular trays too shallow for runners. Typical (Wilkos) 15x modular trays are only 50mm deep and I thought they were prone to producing pot bound plants, but many years ago (about 15) I found some Erin 15x modular trays at B&Q that were almost 70mm deep and still have sufficient left to be used exclusively for runners. They're getting rather tatty and torn now, but that helps with getting the plants out without disturbing the roots.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Ah .. .same climbing frame then?

3. RogerB

RogerB Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +15
    My sweetcorn, runner beans, courgettes, marrows and cucumbers all get planted straight outdoors as seed and except for last year have done ok.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I'm just curious to know if you give them a helping hand? For example cover the ground with black plastic, to help it heat up, for a few weeks before sowing or cover with a cloche or similar to provide an initial boost?

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155

Yes, so the later plants twine around the older ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • RogerB

RogerB Gardener

Gardener
      Ratings:
      +15

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,486
      John, I presume you still have your framework that extends almost horizontally. Don't you finf that part still covered in flowers towards the end of the season. The framework I made last year still carried lots of flower and beans after the 6ft+ verticals had finished producing. The plants grew between 10ft and 15ft and gave me about 40% more crop. :blue thumb:

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,155
      Yes Shiney I am still using that setup with the horizontal (ish) bit on the top, photo taken last year:

IMG_7087 resized.JPG

• Like Like x 2
      • dandanuk

dandanuk Gardener

Ratings:
        +41
        So by making this hozontal set up, are you saying it can increase your crop ? When would you install something like this when the plant reaches a certain hight or soon as practicle ? And would this set up work with peas?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        I was impressed by your frame last year Shiney, and the weight of crop you got.

For many people it may be easier (I'm thinking cost of time & effort, and the materials to make a bigger frame) to second-sow and have the cropping on a "straightforward" frame - which might just be some "crossed bamboo's" so to speak

John's frame is permanent I think? (So called Munty frame) so might be worth folk making permanent frames making them a size that can allowing 10' - 15' of vine, and that they can be picked (vertical not much good!)

Here's John's Munty frame (Jul 2009):
        [​IMG]
        http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/new-idea-for-runner-bean-frame.9136/page-2#post-92525

I mentioned last year that I might try a frame that spans the paths between my beds which are 4' wide, and the paths between are 18" or so
        [​IMG]

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/...rt-this-years-thread.45032/page-3#post-588067

Edit: Sorry John, duplicated your post - went to make a Cuppa whilst you were posting!!

• Agree Agree x 1
        • dandanuk

dandanuk Gardener

Ratings:
          +41
          Looks good, I think I may try my hand at something like that, how high would you build it ? And also I noticed the string had changed for bamboo in the pics is there any reason why or do they both do the job just as good as the other?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Makes picking easier to have the beans hanging down just above your head. Conventional style is to make an A-shaped frame of canes. To me this is the worst possible shape - the beans hang down on the inside and are hard to see, and fish out of the middle for picking!

[​IMG]

If you only have a very few plants then a Wig Wam may be suitable. Same problem as A-Frame IMHO of beans hanging "inside"
          [​IMG]

I use an X-Frame - here's Zigs from last year:
          [​IMG]
          and mine:
          [​IMG]
          and Shiney's
          [​IMG]

Last year Shiney inter-connected the tops of the frames on his rows of beans (he grows lots to sell for charity). This is how it then looked:
          [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You need to do the main part of the frame, at least, when you plant. Within days the bean plants will be twisting their vines around the poles and climbing.

They don't grow very tall. Just some wide square mesh does for them.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • dandanuk

dandanuk Gardener

Ratings:
            +41
            Brilliant, I already have an idea on how I'd like to grow my beans, what happens with beans once the winter sets in do you need to cut them back And do they grow back the following year or do you need to repeat the whole process again?

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,486
            In theory, runnerbeans are perennials but, in practice, they aren't. Although Kandy got a second year out of some of hers.

Although you don't need to make the top part of the frame until later I do mine at the same time as the uprights as it's easier to make it just one job.

I don't have access to my photos at the moment but I have made some permanent posts (not for the beans) for holding some support wires. All the rest is erected and removed each year.

My beans are grown through weed suppresant fabric. This just looks like black plastic but allows the rain to soak through. (You can see it in the first picture of mine that Kristen posted above.) I never have to weed the ground. Each year when the growing season has finished I remove the canes, roll the plastic back, dig the soil, add home grown compost and roll the plastic back. Nothing else needed all year. :blue thumb:

I also grow courgettes, squash, marrows, tomatoes, sweetcorn etc through the fabric. Last year I grew giant onions underneath the beans. They grew almost as well as normal and seemed to help keep the aphids away. :dancy:

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997
            What about sowing in newspaper/toilet roll tubes? (as in this thread http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/tips-for-growing-parsnips.39165/)

I'm thinking about growing a bed them through Mypex this year and removing it once the tops have died down and they're ready to dig up.

This was what my plot looked liked this morning and the beds were worse than the paths, so pointless sowing parsnips in a swamp:

flooded.jpg

My last toilet roll sown parsnip dug last week @ 700+g which wont win any competitions for good looks, but has a much more efficient surface area to weight ratio, reducing wastage when peeling.

parsnip last 2013.jpg