What's Cooking Today??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Upsydaisy, May 9, 2021.

1. On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,004
    @noisette47 When we moved here the first veg we planted was asparagus crowns. We also are in heavy clay soil. They did really well for many years but then gradually they gave up. Bizarrely spears started to appear in an area that we had not planted. The spears are really strong and fat. We decided to plant some new crowns last year but it will be a couple of years before we get any return. Agree white asparagus just does not compare with the green. It doesn't have a taste to our minds but freshly pulled green spears certainly do. Hope you find a space for some new crowns.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,004
      @noisette47 We had our first picking of asparagus today. And didn't they taste wonderful. These were from the "rogue" crown and we had 6 spears of decent length and thickness. More coming up.

• Like Like x 2
      • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,397
        Looks like our asparagus has given up the ghost so I shall order more plants and prepare a new bed for them to plant next autumn.

Meanwhile, I found some French grown green asparagus and we had it on Monday with salmon poached in a light cream and tarragon sauce. I steamed it lightly then finished it in the oven with some grated cheese over the stems - the only way Possum will eat it.

• Like Like x 1
        • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +14,700
          I've got a few rogue plants in the borders, too, OTL :) They're amazingly healthy and productive, so they're going to have to tide us over until I get a new row planted. @Obelix-Vendée do you find crowns available in the autumn there? Asparagus crowns round here seem to be sold during a very short window in spring. It's unusual, because most things do better planted in autumn! If I am likely to be able to get hold of some this autumn, though, I'll gee-up OH on the bed preparation :biggrin:

• Obelix-Vendée

Retired
          Ratings:
          +1,397
          Haven't looked yet @noisette47 . Just assumed autumn was best.

• Obelix-Vendée

Retired
          Ratings:
          +1,397
          Local strawberries on offer at Vergers de Vendée today so I bought 3 kilos to make jam. Have never made strawberry jam before. The result tastes great but why - please, anybody - has the fruit all settled at the top of the jar?

Sweet and sour pork tonight and I'm prepping an Indian potato pie and some marinated Shawarma chicken for a BBQ tomorrow.

It's the Fête des Voisins where neighbours get together for a pot luck lunch. Our hostess likes curry after spending a university year in Hull and she's converted her husband. I'm also making black pudding and sausage rolls for the apéro and a spicy sardine dip cos sardines are a local speciality too. Manchester tart for dessert.

• Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,739
          First outside BBQ cook of the year

Chicken legs, belly slices, bratwurst hot smoked/roasted, while resting grilled the veg. Bit early for homegrown veg apart from some garlic scapes I threw on. These are the left overs

1000004212 (1).jpg

• Like Like x 2
          • Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,739
            Made some focaccia, based on a focaccia baresi recipe. Used durum wheat for it. Not exactly the prettiest :rolleyespink:

IMG_20240613_213853.jpg

• Like Like x 3