1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

whats happened to my olive?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by gerkin50, Mar 10, 2009.

1. gerkin50

gerkin50 Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    plant has been growing away on window seal for last 5 years
    but now looks vey sick ,is this a result of not enough water ,too much water ,some sort of disease ??
    there are green parts when you scrape the bark so i hope it can recover

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    It looks like not enough water to me, but thats only a guess.
    Having said that I would have thought it would actually shed the dead leaves if that is the case.

It might be caused by red spider mite, but usually if its that bad some fine webbing would be visible on the shoots.

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Looks like a combination of dehydration and frost damage,don't think rsm would be a problem outside at this time of year Pete.

4. gerkin50

gerkin50 Gardener

Ratings:
    +2

plant is kept inside year round only taken out for pics!

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Gherkin said,
    Didn't realise it went out for a photo-shoot so I will stick with the dehydration theory,keep it just moist don't go flooding it and keep your fingers crossed,would suggest if it recovers putting it out in the summer.

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    If you have single glazed windows with curtains, then the problem is a combination of cold and lack of water. Otherwise, probably lack of water.:thumb:

7. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Has it been in the same pot for 5 years? If so, it probably needs re-potting, some fresh compost and a good feed, and no extremes from wet to dry. :flwsml:

8. vineman

vineman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Olives grow where very little rain falls , usually it copes very well.
    I think its lack of food in the soil.
    Pot it up in some good soil , J.I No 3.
    Dont drown it with water, little and often.
    It will pick up, my olive went a month with little water, it is outside though.

9. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,919
    Hello gerkin ....

I am probably not the person to speak here but I feel I must say something ...

You say you have had this olive tree on your windowsill for five years and it has obviously been well and happy all this time as you seemed to have cared for it well.

Like pete I thought is there something like a mite that has invaded the tree?

I'm not sure I agree with other comments because my feelings are that trees (like bonsai as I do) need to be outside or at least have fresh air all the time and in my opinion you have treated your olive tree as a bonsai ... ie, a tree shrub in a pot. I have been 'doing' bonsai for 15 years plus and have never fed mine. Most were started in the UK and to-d and fro-d to Portugal yearly until they became permanent residents here like us.

Olive trees in their natural habitat ... ie, growing wild and annoying to us against our kitchen wall, do not require food or drink actually. They thrive in the poorest soil I've ever encounterd and then suffer no watering for at least six months in the summer.

However, I have never had an olive tree in the UK so I cannot make judgement there but I thought you might like to know how they cope naturally.