1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What's wrong with this Rhubarb

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Head Gardener's Dogsbody, May 26, 2022.

1. Head Gardener's Dogsbody

Head Gardener's Dogsbody Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    I thought Rhubarb was a fairly 'bomb proof' crop to grow......but this specimen seems to have other ideas. Just two feeble looking stalks and leaves that are clearly being eaten by something. Given that we are now in the Rhubarb picking season something is clearly wrong. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Andy. Screenshot 2022-05-26 at 16.02.30.png

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,222
    Rhubarb are tough, but not completely bomb proof, slugs will have a go at the young leaves and stems.
    The leaves being so large can be prone to physical damage by wind and hail. Also any small hole caused by damage from a sapsucker or a fungus killing a few cells off gets enlarged as the leaf unfurls.
    They are very hungry plants and also thirsty; mine got off to a good start early in the year, but then the dry cool weather stopped them in their tracks; they have just got going again after a few wetter weeks. Mine get a regular mulch of garden compost and also a yearly feed with either growmore or chicken manure pellets.
    I would pull back the bark to at least the edge of the leaves all round, check the soil moisture and water if necessary and then rake in some fertiliser.
    They are also susceptible to honey fungus (no suggestion this is your problem).

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,509
    Was it recently planted?
    It takes a t least a couple of years to establish.
    Slugs and snails do like the leaves when young.

• Agree Agree x 1