When can I lift daffodil bulbs?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by The Bird Lady, Apr 18, 2024.

1. The Bird Lady

The Bird Lady Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    I have a long narrow border which is full of daffs, this year I want to give it a good clear out so I want to dig out all the bulbs and replant them again later. Should I wait until September, when I would normally plant spring bulbs, or can I lift them once the foliage has died down? If I do the latter, how should I store the bulbs?

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Keen Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,517
    Hi @The Bird Lady - you can really lift them whenever you want, as long as you keep the foliage on them. Just pot them up, or heel them in somewhere if you have a space, and feed a couple of times as they die back. Just remember to label them...;)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • AuntyRach

AuntyRach Gardener

Ratings:
      +926
      I have just removed some Daffodils from pots into plastic pots and a big hessian bag where I let them die back then trim them in about 8 weeks time and store like that until Autumn.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • The Bird Lady

The Bird Lady Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +11
        Thank you both, I did think it would be OK to lift them now, but I guess I just wanted confirmation! Cheers!

• Friendly Friendly x 1