1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

When do i earth up spuds?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by NewbieGreen, Jun 1, 2009.

1. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got my king edwards and rocket spuds popping up now, but when do i earth up? I've earth both at any green and when its 8" above the soil. What kind of frequency do you end up earthing up aswell?

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I`d earth them up every 4 inches.

3. Louise

Louise Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I am really struggling with the whole earthing up thing.
    My pots in the plastic bins are growing at different speeds. The ones I have planted in the garden are only just popping up.
    When I earth up, do I just try and build the soil up around the stem and leave a lot of the foliage and side shoots showing or should I cover the whole lot and just leave the tips of the very top set of leaves showing?

4. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I don't bother with earthing up, it's not worth the trouble on heavy clay. Just dig deep and plant deep, then leave them to it. You might get a few that have a green patch but who doesn't? Anyway they're still usable if you cut the green off.

5. DOdgecuk

DOdgecuk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder what the limit is?

With my two rows its turning into quite a mound!

Any ideas when the best time to stop eathing up is?

6. Micky V

Micky V Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Earthing up potatoes
    I was always told to wait untill they are about 9in tall and then earth them up makin a nice flat top,i have always had a decent crop they say there is no benifit in earthing up a bit at a time.
    Hope this helps
    good luck metal micky
    n/b i earthed mine up at the weekend

7. Lovage

Lovage Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just earthed mine up well tonight when I heard it will be down to -3C tonight

8. Louise

Louise Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks. I have just thrown some more compost and manure in and there isn't any more room in my bins for any more now. I noticed that some ants were moving into the bins, I caught them in the act and wondered if they will do the spuds any harm, I also gave them a very good watering as I presumed from reading the compost thread that if ants are in there,it could be a sign of it being too dry?

9. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    the ants wont hurt ya spuds. i just earth mine up as they pop out the soil.
    . Use enough soil so that just about 5cm of stem are left visible above the mound.
    This will ensure enough folliage is left to allow the plant to carry on growing strongly, but will stop light getting to the tubors so that they are prevented from turning green and poisonous. some peeps dont bother. but it does help.