1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

when do i know my spuds are ready

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by poohpouri, Jul 23, 2009.

1. poohpouri

poohpouri Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    HI When do i know when my spuds are ready to harvest..they are rooster potatoes and the plants are all flowering at tthe moment thanks in advance sorry if a stupid question but am completely new to this lol

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    They won't get much bigger after the flowers have finished and the top growth starts to look past its best.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    Hi poohpouri, its not a stupid question at all.

Rooster are an early main crop, and as they are flowering you could start harvesting them now. Scoop away the soil from one plant to see how big the tubers are and if big enough now then dig up as many as you need, the others will keep growing. If you have a large row then you can wait for the tops to die down, this causes the tubersâ?? skins to harden so they can be stored better.

Hope they are good :thumb: