When do I plant my Tomatoes in the greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Spacemunkey, Apr 15, 2017.

1. RobinS

RobinS Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    When did you sow these? Where did you germinate them? Mine were sown weeks ago in propagator and are not past the 1" high seed leaf stage.......think I'm going to have to buy plants.......

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Spacemunkey

Spacemunkey Gardener

Steel worker
      Ratings:
      +270
      Hi Robin I sowed mine,maybe 6 weeks ago. My tomatoes are approximately 5/6 inches tall I'll post some pictures later this afternoon to show you. I'm in work at the moment it's 03:12am and I can't wait to go home

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Spacemunkey

Spacemunkey Gardener

Steel worker
        Ratings:
        +270
        IMG_0004.JPG Hi Robins all my plants are all about this size, I planted the seeds at the beginning of March, it's only the past 2 weeks that they have started to grow well. I'd imagine the growth spurt is due to the weather getting warmer and the extra day light?? I'm not sure as this is my first attempt at growing stuff. If I'm wrong someone here will correct me :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 2
          Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,184
          When you say 'plant out in the greenhouse' do you mean place those pots into the greenhouse or put them into bigger 12" + pots or border soil ?

The general rule is not to transplant them until the first flower truss is opening out, though sometimes it might be prudent to carefully pot them into a larger 6" pots if the roots are really growing out of the bottom on the existing ones / or you have to water more than once a day as the pots becoming too small for the plant.

All thats got to be balanced against your local weather /temps.

Looking at the size of your plants I would still give them indoor protection until mid May.

If you can get electricity to your greenhouse for next autumn / year you can do so much more by just using the small electric propagators or making a small heated bench with a soil warming cable, both use very little power but make getting toms etc off to a good start so much easier.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,478
            I just returned home from grocery shopping and most of the stores have their garden centers open. Lots of plants sitting outside. Sooo, I'm thinking that if they can put things out in the open, my stuff, exluding peppers and other more delicate plants, should be just fine under cover. Heated or not.

These places are not out to lose money, nor are their suppliers and I'm sure they wouldn't be taking huge risks.

Thoughts on this anyone?

• Agree Agree x 1
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,184
              Here in the uk we are just in the middle of a sudden cold snap, bitter winds and even heavy hail storms this afternoon, though probably mild by your standards :smile:...?

Our seasons / weather / timings seem so very mixed up these last few years, its always a guessing game as to when it safe to plant out, whats it like over there ?

Bet many of our diy stores garden centers will have lots of their plants killed off or seriously set back, just that many do not have the staff or time to protect them properly.
              Worse still, so many folk bought tender plants during the late but warmish Easter break but will have put them outside thinking its ok, but this bad weather will have likely killed them off now.

Just been out to fleece up my young single cordon fruit tree that are just starting to blossom.

Also, to add on to my previous comment about Spacemonkeys toms and to show what a little bottom heat can do, these are my toms that I potted up last week, though have put a fan heater in there tonight in case it drops below 8c. Outside -1c last night.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +84,393
                People that sell plants have one aim, to sell plants.:snorky:

If they can sell you two lots it's more profit for them.

Ever wondered why those garden centres have all those tempting plants outside at Easter?
                It's because they want you to buy them, get them killed off, ( lets face it none of them have been hardened off), then come back next bank holiday and buy some more.;)

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Creative Creative x 2
                • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                  Ratings:
                  +30,478
                  I just received an "Alert" to this thread. Weird. :rolleyespink:

But a good reminder to say that I planted mine out the other day. And I told them, "suck it up". I told them that kindly ... but with emphasis on the do or die statement. :paladin:

So far all has been great and I live in Canada so that's a statement all in itself. Plants have a superior will to live than most of us humans. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1