When to prune roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Butterfield, May 21, 2010.

1. Butterfield

Butterfield Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a few rose bushes next to the driveway. For the last few years they have been quite low level (short) and negleted. Last autumn I pruned them quite a lot and had been deadheading over the summer too.

As a result, they are thriving (no roses yet, but lots of small buds), but 2 or 3 of the rose bushes have branches nearly on ground level and will be trailing all over the floor. Obviously I would like to train the bush to be more upright.

Will I do any harm if I start cutting off low level branches this time of year?:cnfs:

2. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    I know that over here in Canada, you prune first thing in the spring, and it all depends on your growing season, and what kind of rose it is, example, climbers, ramblers, hybrids, modern roses.....the person to better answer you would be Wiseoldowl.....sorry i couldnt be more help.

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +90,085
    Hi Butterfield Personally I feel that it is OK just to tidy up(Not Prune) but only keep to a minimum,:)

4. Butterfield

Butterfield Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I will do 'tidy up' !

5. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    I'm no expert, but I was always taught that hybrid tea, floribunda, ground cover and patio roses should be pruned mid Spring (round about the 3rd week in March), ramblers in late summer and only climbers in the autumn. I agree with wiseoldowl though, a bit of tidying up shouldn't do any harm.

Just a BTW - are you sure that the 'branches' near the ground are actually part of your roses rather than just suckers?

6. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    The danger of pruning roses this late in the year is that you'll end up with few flowers. But old dead wood can be removed, but new growth should be left where possible.

7. Butterfield

Butterfield Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm showing my lack of knowledge now, what are suckers?

These low 'branches' are actually in flower or with little buds now does that help?

8. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +90,085
    Hi Butterfield this might help:)

Suckers are shoots that grow from the rootstock rather than from the named variety which has been grafted onto it. If nothing is done then the suckers will take over the plant completely and you will have a bush that has reverted. You can tell if it is a sucker if you see that it is coming from below the bud union and by the different leaf form and colour. Don't go by the number of leaflets as a guide. Try to pull the sucker off rather than cutting it as cutting stimulates growth again. Pulling if off causes the wound to make a callous and heal over.

http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/pruning-rose-family-reference-sheet-t20298.html

[​IMG]

9. Butterfield

Butterfield Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! Thanks for the explanation and the picture. They are definitely branches from above the bud union as they are all above the ground, but it's great to learn new things. Occasionally, I have seen a little shoot growing from under the ground and I was always quite pleased, but now I will look at it with a bit more experience.

10. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +90,085
    Hi Butterfield You are most welcome ,pleased that i could help:)

11. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Jings Roses, well I wouldn't prune in June.
    Should have been done long since.
    I was brought up in the tradition - get your worst enemy to prune for you. Chop them to the ground early spring.
    I've never had that kind of courage. I tend to go for BIT OF THE APPLIANCE OF SCIENCE.
    Appliance of science says it doesn't matter how you prune the roses - as long as you do !
    Early spring chop them down - and let them get on with it. That what seems to matter.

12. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +90,085
    Hi Alice I respectfully suggest that the main reason to prune Roses is to form the correct shape IE so that the shrub is cupped shaped for air circulation and their are no canes touching or crossing each other,which would cause all sorts of diseases and at the correct angle so that the rain runs down the cane etc,Yes indeed we experimented once by pruning one bed of 50 Roses by the tried and tested method and then another bed of 50 Roses adjacent to each other with a chainsaw levelled across the top,The Bloom percentage was the same but by the Tried and tested method the Roses were much healthier:)

13. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It matters how you prune roses.

If you wish to remove the growth that you may never want-ie the long branches that hang over the edge of a path etc then you can do so at any time.

14. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    With respect WOO. I would say that most of our gardeners on here have Saturday afternoon to spare and one more Rose pointing this way or that doesn't matter diddlysquat to them, or the display they will get.
    In general I would stick to my advice - it doesn't matter how roses are pruned - as long as they are !

15. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Lollipop, are you talking about ramblers ?
    Now that is a different matter - and I do think it matters when you prune them.
    Quite a lot of work there - and I don't grow them anymore.