1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to start? Pond refurb - any advice welcome, please!

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Looby-Lou, Feb 24, 2021.

1. SamW

SamW Gardener

Ratings:
    +73
    Well. I already have some water mint as I picked some cuttings from a water meadow near me last year and kept it in pot in a tray of water. It's doing really well, just a bit worried that could also takeover? I like forget me nots and have loads growing in the front garden bed but I didn't know there was a water variety. I also have some red veined sorrel which 'escaped' and took up residence in the top of the pond where the water trickles through. It grows really well but doesn't go mad and easy to control. Contrast with forget me nots would be fantastic - do you think normal ones would work?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,667
    I have cyperus alternifolius,have in past used lobelia and pontaderia cordata.
    I don't like very slow plants, but on the other hand things that escape a basket in one season are too much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +9,233
      First of all, hi @SamW , and welcome to the forum!
      Glad that you have set aside the removed stems of yellow flag. It might be worth talking to your local nature trust, to see if they are setting up ponds anywhere. A couple of days ago I contacted the guy in charge of renovating a local wildlife pond, and he was delighted with the offer of some plants... I think if you are managing a large pond, especially a “natural” water-fed pond, the flags act as an important filter system to prevent the pond filling up with silt.

Watermint grows well, and would also probably need to be kept in check. But at least you don’t have to use a pruning saw to cut off extra growth! The pressure of a thumb-nail will cut the stem. It will grow a runner or three out of the pond, into the surrounding soil, if allowed, which is great at softening edges. It doesn’t flower noticeably, but can be used for culinary purposes, if that is a positive for you?

Water forget me not is a different plant to the normal forgetmenot. It takes a while to get going - I’ve had baskets that have just sat there for a couple of years. Then it grows well. The leaves are starting to come up now in my pond, so have probably been showing for a few weeks in the UK. The flowers are almost identical to the normal plants...

My marsh marigold has also just sat there, and in fact seems to be getting smaller each year, as the other plants “visit” its basket. So definitely not a rampant grower!

• Useful Useful x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,667
        One plant you don't seem to see any more is parrots feather, I planted it one year and it completely covered the pond and was taking root into the lawn by September.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,267
        I think that's why it' was banned from sale in 2014.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1