1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Where's the best place to buy compost online?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Howard Stone, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    Merry Christmas everyone!

I'm suddenly without a car, and I need some compost -- ideally 10 50L bags of a potting compost with some JI, like Westland

Is there a place which is good value for money?

2. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,345
    I've had a look around and it appears that all the people who sell bulk bags charge a premium price per litre (B&Q, Screwfix, Online Soil), and if you went for the smaller bags, you have to spend £100 at B&Q to get delivery.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +611
      By me is an allotment that sell compost besides other things they sell different types of compost and potting compost they also will deliver several big bags for a small charge usally £1 you could see if any allotments by you sell good compost that you looking for and can they deliver it

Amazon do potting compost and some are free delivery e g professional potting compost 80L limited time only£13 49 instead of£18 69 also westland compost on offer i have never used them though for compost , i usually go to lidl and my allotment

Take a look at site COMPOST DIRECT they do free delivery and sell different types of compost

• Like Like x 1
      • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
        Ratings:
        +4,345
        @Janet mahay - but that is quite expensive when you consider that in peak season people like Morrisons are offering 3* 50l bags for £10. Unfortunately all those offers disappear over winter, otherwise @Howard Stone could use their delivery service

• Like Like x 1
        • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,731
          I've used Compost Direct in the past, and found their soil conditioner very good as well as reasonably priced. Because I'm within the M25 the bulk bag was delivered directly into my front garden by a crane lorry. Further afield it will be palletised. Compost Direct

If you can use a bulk bag's worth that'll probably work out cheaper. Some local councils produce their own recycled compost and sell/ give that away to the public cheaply I believe - not ours, here in London it doesn't have the space!

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
            +611
            Hi caroline true morrisons compost is cheap but usually its extra for delivery
            in past I have had a couple of big bags of compost from Morrison's and a growbag and found the compost was not all that good but the house plants were better infact I bought a aloe vera plant for £1 in may 2019 it was about 4inches high it has now trebled it size

• Like Like x 1
            • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
              Ratings:
              +6,097
              Those firms selling bagged compost, depend so much on supply and demand. So the outlets eg; B&Q etc are looking for a quick fast turn over. Come spring, you can't get into the stores for mountanous stacks of all sorts of compost. This time of the year, the commercial world fails to see, some gardeners still tend their plants.

I have over the years, especially since commercially produced compost entered the scene. I have tried most brands. Finally I settle for JA Bowers MPC. 120/125 ltr bales. A couple of years back. My local cash and carry, Makro, did an offer. 120 lt. bale of JAB @6.50 plus vat, buy one get one free, no delivery. It was worth my while to make several trips. Since then. No more stocks.

Looking online, I find the prices become ridiculous. Homebase have a store some three miles from home. They always have a good supply at 7.99 per bale of 120ltrs. They do deliver most goods but, compost NO. Neither can I order on line. So, off I go and check in at the cashier. Hi. I want 10 bales of JAB MPC to be delivered. So 10x 7.99p plus 10.00 for delivery. Yes a bit of an arse about way of trading.

If in dificulty. Is there a real urgency for wanting to pot-up or pot-on etc at this time? Might it not be possible to hang on a while? Check out your GH or growing area. How about using the compost from those dead pots. Here's a tip. Empty the pots, break down the compost. Mix up some liquid feed and give the spent compost a good soak. or. You can add some growmore or bone meal etc to the compost. Give it a good mix, let it stand for a day or two and use in the normal way. A tip following any repotting, potting up etc. DON'T feed the plant untill recovered.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,206
              Why not contact your local garden centers, lots of them will deliver and you usually have a decent selection of well known brands to choose from.

• Agree Agree x 1