1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Which type of Lavender for these Scottish beds??

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by NewBhoy, Jul 20, 2015.

1. NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
    +67
    Dear all,

I've 2 blank beds, approx 3mtr x 2.8mtr either side of a set of steps, in front of a patio.

I've had some sound advice that lavender would be a good addition to the area, I like the idea but was confronted by a wall of choice at the weekend which I just wasn't prepared for!!

I like the idea of having a small variety of lavender within the beds for a bit of added interest and possibly something different as a feature next to the wall on one side and the deck on the other.

Any suggestions more than welcome! PS the garden is east facing and the area sees a good bit of sun from early morning till early evening in the summer.

I've attached a photo to show the area.

Thanks, Patrick
    IMG_6237.JPG

2. Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,631
    If you want a difference coloured lavender how about ellagance pink or ellagance ice

Ellagance sky is like a lighter purple which is nice

Hidcote is kind of a standard english lavender

3. Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Patrick,

I'll have a think about the main beds but if you don't to overload with Lavender you could use them as edging either side of the steps.
    I reckon (if I've read this right the steps are about 2.8 m long) you could get about 6 or 7 either side and start at one end with a dark purple/blue and gradually lighten the colour and end with white at the other end.

• Like Like x 2
    • NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
      +67
      That's an excellent idea, I remember someone mentioning ellagance, sky, ice and pink. Could those be a possibility?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
        +67
        It was @Dips with the ellagance suggestion. Sorry, I couldn't see the post for looking at it there.:rolleyespink:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Hi Patrick,

How about, by the bench/outdoor tap having a long trough to go along the wall.

You could put in a scented climber ( such as a Rose )to train around the window and then fill up the trough with either miniature Roses or small patio Roses.

Are the two beds either side of the steps the same size ?

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,631
          My new lavender hedge is ellangance ice then ellagance pink then ellagence sky and then hidcot so it fades out like that each way from the central arches

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          I really like 'Munstead' Lavender especially for hedging as it has nice compact growth and beautiful intense purple flowers :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,385
            I bet thats the lavender i seen at Tibshelf academylast week,its was stunning, so purple! Thanks @Lolimac :blue thumb: x

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Bumbalina

Bumbalina My name is Bumbalina and I am a garden-a-holic

Carer for my nan
              Ratings:
              +46
              Oh I just bought three beautiful lavender today, couldn't tell you which ones though. I have a memory like a sieve. But, if it was me, I would line either side of the steps so when people walk down they brush against it and you get the lovely scent.

• NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
              +67
              Hi, the beds either side are roughly the same size @Anthony Rogers. The one next to the deck is approx 2.8m x 2.8m, the opposite one is slightly longer and tapers a bit at the end by a foot. The photo makes them look more long and narrow than they are. The roses are a good idea, but I've always been wary of the thorns having 3 young kids (and all the friends and cousins) running about the garden. I've put a shelve thing on the opposite side of the patio with some potted fuchsia and herbs etc, see photo. I was hoping for a slightly mediterranean courtyard feel to that area. Any ideas?
              That sounds lovely @Dips I really taken by the idea of the colours changing, I'll also check out the Munstead @Lolimac, do you know if it will survive the Scottish winter (or summer for that matter the way things are).

Once we have settled on what is going in it brings the next question, are plants alright to buy online? the ones we are talking about here I never came across in the local centres and nurseries.

Attached Files:

• NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
              +67
              Agreed @Bumbalina the advise from a few people is to go for that, and the way my kids run about there may be more than just brushing!

• Bumbalina

Bumbalina My name is Bumbalina and I am a garden-a-holic

Carer for my nan
              Ratings:
              +46
              Lol well there will be extra lavender scent. Good job it doesn't run out! Good luck with it.

• NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
              +67
              Well I've spent the day at a local nursery and came back with the basis for the beds, the guy there was extremely helpful. Also had the good fortune of bumping into the Scottish Bonsai Association who kindly spent some time with my kids and I, hugely impressive.

Anyway, I came away with the following -

Andromeda polifolia 'Blue Ice'
              Lavandula 'Havana'
              Erigeron glaucus 'Sea Breeze'
              Geranium sanguineum 'Elke'
              Sedum 'Binny'

Add to the above the previously bought Sambucus nigra 'Black Lace' and Hebe 'Heartbreaker'.

I plan to sit them out in the beds and try to envisage what they will grow into and not what they are at the moment. But that is easier said than done I suppose.

• Useful Useful x 1
              • NewBhoy

NewBhoy Gardener

Ratings:
                +67
                I've started planting out, the Sambucus doesn't really show in the picture.

It looks very sparse to me, I was planning to treble up the plants, once I was settled on what was going in, to add a bit of bulk (or am I being terribly impatient?).

I was also planning to add a bit of rosemary once I see what space will be left and also add more to the side of the steps, was thinking thyme, any thoughts?

Also, are any of the plants suitable for me to try some cuttings?
                IMG_6776.jpg