1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Whisley glasshouse

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by PeterS, Nov 23, 2017.

1. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    "You" didn't bloom at Oxfords botanic gardens this year either.
    Maybe I ought to pop in tomorrow to double check.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      Strongy - I have been a long time admirer of you.:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +28,514
        I can't be 'in bloom' everywhere!!!!!!:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 5
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,181
          It certainly is the pinnacle, I saw it in full bloom earlier this year and the sheer scale and length of it is stunning. My photos couldn't do it justice.

Being on our doorstep we pop there when we have a spare hour or two. There is always something new to see. I was amazed that the glasshouse is now 10 years old, time flies. Over the summer they have drastically pruned some of the taller plants in the Temperate Zone as they were hitting the glass!

• Like Like x 3
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,015
            I would love to have observed how it has changed over the years. It must have evolved. What is so brilliant is that it has the height and the span, so that you can do essentially anything that you want. Other glasshouses feel constricted.

• Like Like x 3
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
              Ratings:
              +28,514
              I first saw a Strongylodon in Singapore Botanical Gardens in '85 and just couldn't believe the colour as I had never seen a turquoise flower before.:smile:

• Like Like x 3
              • JWK

Ratings:
                +46,181
                The Turquoise is exquisite but looked artificial when I reviewed my photos. Peter's photo is better in colour balance terms than what I took. I will have to try better next year.

• Like Like x 1
                • JWK

Ratings:
                  +46,181
                  The whole garden has evolved out of all recognition over the years we have lived nearby. To begin with it was a bit snobby and very child unfriendly, but gradually they have welcomed families and now have a play area and education centre just for the kids. They used to ban picnics, you weren't even supposed to take a flask of tea in.

Now they are a victim of their own success as it gets very busy at weekends. You probably wouldn't like the glasshouse butterfly event in Jan/Feb, I like seeing the butterflies but it gets too crowded and one year we had an half hour queue to get in.

The best thing they have done over the last couple of years in my opinion is create the new rose garden. In place of the old rose garden they have a new Exotic Garden , did you find that @PeterS ? It's on the way to the hill top and trials area. It is newly planted and will need a couple of years to establish. I wonder if they have wrapped everything up for the winter now.

Over the years they have moved their exotic garden to 3 other positions, it used to be in the walled garden but that was a frost pocket so only the very hardiest survived.

I find these changes quite fascinating as it reflects what a lot of us do, well me in particular, keep moving our plants around to find the best position - albeit on a much smaller scale.

I always pay a visit to their veg plot to compare theirs with mine, usually I'm a bit envious of their plants.

The other place I try and visit regularly is the small show gardens, they give an idea of what you can do in a small space.

• Informative Informative x 2
                  • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +4,015
                    Hi John. I would love to have seen the changes as they took place. However I had a wonderful visit about 3 months ago. By pure chance (I wasn't looking for it) I came across an advert for a Saga holiday called the Great Glass Houses of Britain and How To Grow Tropical Plants. There was one place left and it started 10 days later. So I had to take it, of course. There were 15 people, but quite honestly very few of the others had much interest in gardening let alone growing tropical plants.

The glass houses were at Kew and Wisley, which I had visited before. But the payoff was that I had a personally conducted tour of both places by Roy Cheek (a Chelsea gold medallist) who was the horticultural guide, as the others were not interested in following us around. So Roy, who had worked at Wisley amongst other places took me to all sorts of areas there that I hadn't seen before.

• Like Like x 2
                    • JWK

Ratings:
                      +46,181
                      Wow you were lucky to get a personal tour especially by someone that knows the place.

• Agree Agree x 2