1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

White Fibres under soil

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Texas Pete, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Texas Pete

Texas Pete Gardener

Railway
    Ratings:
    +93
    Good afternoon,

A quick question. At the bottom of the garden there were old paving slabs which we took up on Monday which had red sand underneath and soil underneath it.

Upon doing a bit of digging today, I have found a few white fibres in the soil a bit deeper down. I did spray some Jeyes fluid in the area a few weeks before to kill off moss.
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-16 at 13.57.36.jpeg

Apologies for the terrible photo, but the fibres are a brilliant white, rather than anything that looks like old roots.

I am assuming these fibres are unlikely to be fungus, as they are quite deep, and as far as we know, no one has moved those slabs for years.

Any thoughts? Anything unpleasant (the dreaded asbestos comes to mind when you think of white fibres, but I can't see why there would be the odd fibre of that here and there in the soil)? There does appear to be some concrete further down (presumably as it is not far from a stone wall and appears to be part of the base of it).

Hopefully someone can tell me to stop worrying!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    Probably fungus, it can travel a long way under ground searching for rotting vegetation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,971
      Agree with pete re fungus. Id found it in my garden also.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997

Asbestos fibres are so tiny that white blood cells can eat them whole (and that's where problems start).

• Like Like x 1