Whitefly

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by jane0o0, Jun 3, 2018.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,611
    Never had them before, that's a shame Jane you are having bad luck with your first growing efforts. Fingers crossed the soap does the trick, if you can I would avoid fairy liquid - try and find a 'pure' soap - it's not always easy to find in a supermarket - baby shampoo is a good one as it has no additives.

2. jane0o0

jane0o0 Gardener

Ratings:
    +308
    Thanks JWK, I'm kind of upset as I was so excited. There were loads of them in the soil outside and on the Courgettes. I just hope I can get rid before they get all over every leaf.

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,275
    They're usually not too much of a nuisance but in large quantities they can be. I posted this picture only the other day and I think it's a woolly aphid.
    P1370612.JPG

They drink the sap of a plant so a small amount isn't too much worry. If they're on the ground then an aphid spray or detergent spray will reduce their numbers. We try to be organic in our garden so we don't use chemicals unless absolutely necessary. Technically, even washing up liquid is non-organic. :noidea:

Having said that, we water all the pots of plants that are for sale (non-edibles) with vine weevil killer just in case and when there is an epidemic of Viburnum beetle we spray the Viburnums that are susceptible to it as it's a horrible plant killer and we don't want to take responsibility for it spreading to other gardens.

I think Viburnum beetle was classified as the country's worst pest four years ago and I think this year will be close to that.

Physically killing the aphids is the best bet when they're on the plants. They tend to be under the leaves and on the stems. Rubbing them off or hosing them is normally sufficient. If you have apple trees (one of their favourites) they can form a large clump of white fluff on the bark. This fluff protects them against predators. Hose it off the bark or treat it with detergent or Neem oil solution. In the old days we used to use methylated spirit to do it and rub it on the bark with an old tooth brush.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Sheps

Sheps Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,101
      That's exactly the same creature that I caught yesterday, shiney...it was only about 3 miles from home, so hope i don't find any in the garden and greenhouse.

Good luck, Jane... I hope you can get rid of them.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • jane0o0

jane0o0 Gardener

Ratings:
        +308
        I've noticed today they are on the underside of leaves on my trees at bottom of garden. They have got back on my Courgette leaves also and odd ones in greenhouse I keep killing. They seem to be falling from the trees. I don't have apple trees which they tend to like but I do have a cherry tree plus some others. Wish I could get rid but I no sooner spray then there is more from the trees.

• sandymac

sandymac Super Gardener

engineer
        Ratings:
        +910
        Hi Jane
        Unfortunate you have woolly aphids which attack Apple, pear, prunus, crab apple, pyracantha, cotoneaster, elm, hawthorn and mountain ash trees. As you say your trees are likely to be the source of them as they overwinter in any cracks in the bark of trees then are able to fly in summer. The only treatment I have used to get rid of them is neem oil. however looking at the size of your trees in your previous posts (greenhouse shading) I can not think of how you could treat them. I think you just need to treat your crops as and when you see a build up of aphids.
        Regards Sandy

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • jane0o0

jane0o0 Gardener

Ratings:
          +308

Thanks sandymac, Will I still be able to eat the crops as I'll no doubt be spraying these pests constantly. I'm getting quite a lot of these branches cut back on the trees so I'm hoping it will help.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,184
          Hi,

Seems they have very few natural predators because of their coating, but general opinion is to wash them off with soapy water or meths or that neem oil.

Sounds like their feeding only does cosmetic damage, its if they carry other diseases that would probably see off the plant in the longer term.

With those big trees around you, think I would try covering the doorway and vents with some fine screen mesh so stop them getting in, but it should still allow enough air movement

Places like B&M do cheap insect door screens that you could easily cut and adapt with some clips or gaffer tape.

Have you not noticed them in previous years or is it just this years sudden hot weather thats caused a plague ?

Aphids are always a problem in the greenhouse, soft young plants, warm and still air and they love it, you almost have to inspect all your plants on a daily basis as they can be so easy to miss and when you have older eyes its even easier to miss the little bug....s , just had to out two pot plants as they were covered in them.

• Like Like x 1
          • jane0o0

jane0o0 Gardener

Ratings:
            +308

Oh so you have them also? I've been spraying them with evo washing liquid diluted and it seems to kill them. Having to constantly keep on top of it though I've noticed not many on the courgettes since I sprayed the them and the soil. Never noticed them any other year and don't think we had them last year. I'm hoping getting the trees cut right back will help. I'm well disappointed as it's my first growing year.

I wonder if any of these would be good for the door and the window. These mesh fabric is super fine. But would it keep them out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
              Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
            • Sheps

Sheps Keen Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,101
              Hi Jane...I use something similar, my local GC sells it as plant shade and it's a fine mesh and only costs about £2.50 per metre.

I use it mainly to try and keep Bees out ( I was forever catching Bees ) and it works OK, but a few still manage to get in through the vents as I haven't covered those yet.

The holes are about 1.5mm to 2mm, so would probably stop a Wooly Aphid

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg

• Like Like x 3
              • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                +45,611
                How do you fix that in @Sheps ?

• Sheps

Sheps Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,101
                I used those greenhouse clips, the green ones that clip and then twist into the channels in the frame.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • Sheps

Sheps Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,101
                  These are the clips and how they hold the mesh to the door frame.

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

Hope this is of some use to you, Jane :)

• Like Like x 3
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • jane0o0

jane0o0 Gardener

Ratings:
                    +308

I've got some of the clips and never knew how to use them lol Thanks Sheps

• Like Like x 1
                    • jane0o0

jane0o0 Gardener

Ratings:
                      +308
                      Have kept on top of this problem with those Aphids and now not getting many. Getting odd one or two in greenhouse and I just squash them. None in soil though my Courgette leaves seemed to have suffered with the washing liquid spray so I've cut them down and hopefully they'll grow again. Have also been bust cutting back the high trees and in the process of cutting back the rest on the right of pic :-) I'm just really excited to grow things for my very first year and won't let these pesky little ones spoil things LOL

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2