Who keeps chickens?

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by clueless1, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Right! Thats it, I am off to buy several cockerals in the morning.

Clueless

I have been keeping chickens for about a year now. I have two Speckldys' and two Rhode Rocks. Th eplace where we got them was pretty grim for the birds. They were about 16 weeks old when we got them.

I bought a chicken coo off evilbay for about £80. That apparantly is enouph space for four chickens. I thought it would be ok for them at night but nowhere near big enough during the day. I have now fenced off a section of about 20 X 20 feet. I did let the birds freerange around the garden for a while, but didn't like treading in chicken poo all the time.

My birds are fed on all sorts of kitchen waste. Peelings, brussel sprouts, bits of fruit etc. Definately no meat. They get fresh cleanwater every day. I give them layers pellets every day and every other day they have a big handful of corn thrown into thier run. I scatter it about so they have to look for it.

My birds are very happy and healthy. I get four big eggs every day, quite a few double yolkers. The birds are now so tame that they will take food from my hand. Lovely creatures, very easy to care for. Not smelly ifyou clean the coo out regularly. Hardly any noise, just quaint clucking sounds. (By the way, my cats are scared stiff of them!). Long as you look after them, they are NOT a cause for complaint from anyone.

[size=small] takemore02withit[/size]

[size=small]With neighbours like that, you need to treat them with the contempt they deserve. Bet you that they will have more to be ashamed of than the folk they complain about. I have a great friend that is on benefits. He is an ex soldier, same as me. He cannot cope with civvies or most people in general and he flips out. He can't help it and doesn't realise what he is doing till it is too late. (I have the same problem but I have been getting helpfor it). He cannot work for anybody as he is a liability, no concept of endangering himself or others. A neighbour grassed him up for working on another mates car. My friend had to provethat he was not working while claiming benefits. How doyou prove that you are NOT doing something? Really upset my friend and caused him a lot of grief. The guy and his wife that grassed up my friend have since been nicked for cultivating a controlled substance for supply AND benefit fraud! What goes around comes around, sooner orlater these people always get made to pay for being so unpleasant. [/size]

[size=small]Chopper.[/size]

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    Good advice, thanks all. I think I'm going to keep my promise and buy the wife some chickens.

3. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    i keep chooks - two little colombian and one very very old ex bat

my neighbours love getting a few very very fresh eggs

loop0y