1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's been eating our beetroot?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by HsuH, Aug 3, 2016.

1. HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,257
    Something has been nibbling my beetroot at the allotment:sad:. A number of the beets themselves have been chewed, there's no sign of damage to the leaves.

We know that deer, rabbits and rats visit the site. Any ideas what might be causing this damage?

IMG_20160803_174028.jpg

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,346
    I would have deer or rabbits would have had a go at the leaves easier to get hold off and softer to chew. Could be rats, but how about squirrels? They have had a go at my beetroot from time to time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      I've had the same problem but pretty sure we don't have rabbits. Definitely have deer and pass on Rats, could well do as live in the countryside by water so likely tho won't be those big ghastly black jobs, Probably pale fawn and white Norwegian ? rats altho been here 13 years and never seen any. All I do know is that post Bella and Pancake having been purchased and now full grown a la bigger than photo now
      018caa6bec28cce4fc02b512de54b4dbac57510cc4.jpg
      the Beetroot gnawing has got considerably less, I have only have the roots gnawed not the tops which is the same as you. I have had Swiss Chard eaten to the ground in another part of the garden and that is definitely deer as there those tell tale "chocolate raisins"! all over the place. These Bambis and I are about to seriously fall out!
      My best guess is it is deer as the ones I have had gnawed are at the edges of the bed and easily accessible for a path. This would be important for deer to ensure a quick escape but not so much for rodents. maybe it is a coincidence that post the cats arriving the problem isn't as bad. Maybe some one more knowledgeable than me will give you the answer.
      I haven't binned the eaten ones. Just boiled the same and the skin area where gnawed, peels sort of like the skins. Yes a bit tedious but I've grown lots so can afford a few munched ones.

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,956
        I would say Rabbits, if you look at the beetroot on the right it has two teeth marks which are flat with a gap

Rabbits Teeth
        upload_2016-8-3_19-28-9.jpeg

Rats Teeth
        upload_2016-8-3_19-30-8.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          You got Beavers nearby @HsuH ? :th scifD36: