1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's Using Mine?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,496
    I've always got my smart phone on me now I don't take it to the toilet though , I don't use it that much for ringing people or vice a versa.

I mainly use it for everything else it can do with GPS while on the motorbike - checking emails - surfing the web I mainly use the phone for now unless I doing something like typing this out on the PC - I take it into the GH / shower / backgarden / other with my speaker listening to the radio / music - the torch is handy for slug hunting or that babybel cheese that rolled under the fridge yesterday - using other apps like messenger which is a bit like a text but lots of people can be in the same chat - camera which are good but not comparable to larger sensor cameras.

I could live without it but it does make life easier, and with the way new technology is going most things are going to be controlled / connected to a phone.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +44,516
      I don't use the computer that's hubby's thing, he does all the financial stuff on there. So it's just my smartphone and i don't have a contract i pay as i go.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,364
      Does that mean that it costs you to be on GC? :hate-shocked:

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +118,364
        I'm keeping away from those things whilst I can. Although, as soon as I switch it on, my car keeps telling me that I haven't linked my phone to it :noidea:. I hope it doesn't have a nervous breakdown :heehee:

I prefer my reading material to be tactile. So I still get books and magazines in the old fashioned way

[​IMG]
        I don't need reminders for NHS as I prefer to keep a diary and can easily remember which bins go out each week.

I have told the dentist and chiropodist (regular appointments) to stop phoning me with reminders as I keep a diary. They tell me that so many people seem to forget their appointments that they have to remind them. When I was working I expected all of my customers to remember their appointments.

What is the world coming to? :whistle:

Signed
        Grumpy Old Man

• Like Like x 3
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,374
          Well Grumpy Old Man....when you're looking after 3 other households, all in different council areas, and all now having gone paperless I can guarantee that all reminders are gratefully appreciated....and yes I do use a calendar too!

I think being responsible for keeping other people's day to day lives running smoothly is a worry at times ..and am happy for absolutely any reminders on offer. It also guarantees that hubs and I can get on and enjoy ours too!!!

NHS are the same....links to my Dad's and brother's appointments as well as my own. Thankfully they don't keep phoning....just a short reminder the week before!

I feel that my recycling bin doesn't need extra feeding...so I go as paperless as I can. That not to say I don't ever buy a mag. or book occasionally, but I try to do my best not to.....every bit helps.

I agree back in the 'old days' people probably had less to do and appointments were easier to remember....I can only speak for myself obviously but I fit more into 2 days than use to get done in a week !

What is the world coming to...it's moving on, sadly not always for the best, but nevertheless it's moving and I for one want to keep up with it

Signed

Not Quite So Old Grumpy Old Lady. :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
            Ratings:
            +50,720

T'Other Half uses his to turn lights music (house and garden) and TV on/off, also heating/air (which is admittedly convenient when we are out and 15 minutes from home). I am sure he can do other things with it but I don't / don't want to know!
            :rolleyespink:

• Like Like x 3
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +118,364
              Apart from running our own affairs I look after some disabled people and run or help run fourteen organisations (charitable, volunteer, social and business organisations). I manage OK the way I'm working and certainly don't want to bring another aspect into my life - but it comes down to whatever suits people :).

I'm happy with how I work and I find that keeping most things in my head and in a diary (which I try to look at as little as possibly :heehee:) seems to keep my brain active and ticking over better. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
                Ratings:
                +54,374
                Exactly!! Each have our own way.

Like you outside of family we too have loads going on. Despite hubs being retired from his official job , we still have our own business but that thankfully almost runs itself. And I am still running mine too ,albeit very part time now.

One thing is for certain @shiney our brains certainly get a good work out!:glad:

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • shiney

Ratings:
                  +118,364
                  [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                    Ratings:
                    +44,516
                    No because my phone is on Wifi but only in the house, i don't pay to be connected outside.

• Friendly Friendly x 1