1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Why am I craving walnuts?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, May 23, 2011.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    The strangest thing has happened. Last week I was full of cold, which hit me much harder than a cold usually does. Probably because I was also run down after working solid for over 2 weeks with no break (my job during the week, and helping my dad move house - lots of heavy lifting at the weekends and some evenings). Then I developed a chest infection and now I'm on antibiotics.

None of that is strange, granted. But what is strange is my overwhelming craving for walnuts. Not hazels or almonds or brazil nuts or any other kind of nut. And not salted or spiced or coated in any way. It had to be walnuts.

Don't get me wrong, I like walnuts normally, but this isn't just a case of I fancy a few walnuts as a snack. Oh no, this is more a case of I must buy walnuts, and having bought them, I must eat large quantities of them in one go until I feel bloated.

Could it be that my body is screaming out for a particular nutrient and on some instinctive subconscious level my body knows where to find the necessary nutrient? Or could it be that I've just gone a little bit crazy:scratch:

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Hello Clueless

Yes, I do think that at some level or other your body knows what it needs. Or perhaps you've just got weird cravings because you're expecting triplets. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • clueless1

Ratings:
      +19,596
      It did cross my mind that I might be pregnant, what with the steadily growing belly, overwhelming cravings for specific food, feeling run down etc.

The only thing is though, I believe that of my my wife and I, if either of us were to become pregnant, I believe it is usually the wife that does so and not the husband. Still, there has to be a first time for everything:)

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      That was my first thought too Dave, but I just couldn't picture you with the stretch leggings:D

WHFoods: Walnuts

Could be the vitamin E bit, or it could be that you associate walnuts with getting better from a cold near Christmas when you were little.

• Like Like x 2
      • clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Very interesting article there Ziggy. It seems walnuts are a superfood, and I didn't even realise it.

It amused me where the article referred to Metabolic Syndrome, and then explained that that's a condition of high blood fat, high blood pressure and obesity. Only our American friends could make up a disease specifically for bad diet:)

• Like Like x 2
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Don't mind a Walnut, got put off them in Majorca when I found the packet was infested with little crawly bugs, did a lot of spitting out.:yummy:

We have invented a new name for a method treating obese people within the NHS, think it Baryometrics or bathyscope, something like that:DOH: