1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Why can't I grow beetroot?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Plosh, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Plosh

Plosh Apprentice Gardener

Livestock farmer
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have been attempting to grow beetroot in my current location for 20 years. I have given it a miss a few times but have probably had about 15 attempts.
    Twice I have had a mammoth crop. The rest of the times nothing.
    I don't have a problem germinating the seed but once germinated they never seem to get past the 2 leaf stage - they will just sit like that for ever more. Occasionally they will progress a bit and I may end up with just a few skinny little roots. I've sown into beds and into modules. I've tried no end of varieties too.
    Does anyone have a secret for beetroot?

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Just an observation Plosh :)
    Beetroot is a maritime crop, likes being grown near the sea. For that reason, I apply a spray or two of seaweed. This was told to me years ago and it makes sense to me. I grow good beetroot here:)
    Beetroot needs a regular supply of water when growing and for the soil to be friable and stone free.
    I protect beetroot seedlings ...from seed sowing...with fleece. The seedlings can be easily damaged by heavy rain and wind so fleece supported by upturned plants pots protects them. Birds can also damage the brittle sedlings too with their movements.

I thin out ......carefully...when very small. Sowing too early in cold areas too can be a problem :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,349
      I've always found it straight forward and I've grown it on different soil types - heavy clay and light chalk so unless you have something unusual I should imagine it's down to providing enough feed. They do need top dressing, Grow More or whatever you might have with a bit of nitrogen in it. As well as keeping well watered as Verdun says.

• Like Like x 3
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +83,883
        I'm still growing it, mainly because it's one of the easiest things to grow.;)
        I just add a bit of Fish blood and bone, before planting out from modules.

I find direct sowing, although possible, and how i did it for many years, can get chewed off by slugs at the very early stages.
        I might water if it becomes very dry, but not as a rule.

Only grow "boltardy"

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Plosh

Livestock farmer
          Ratings:
          +18
          That's even more baffling if it's generally regarded as an easy crop. The soil in my raised beds is pretty good. 20 years of rotation and well rotted manure - it started off as clay with massive boulders in it that had to be removed by machine. Sufficient water should never be a problem, more likely to be too much. I will admit that once outdoor crops are in I don't usually feed (I use fish, blood and bone before planting)apart from the long stayers like sprouts.

• Like Like x 2
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +83,883
            Well, to me it's pretty much the same stuff that they grow fields of for sugar, not exactly the same, but I find it doesn't need any messing around with.
            I cant grow carrots anymore, and I cant even grow spring onions to perfection.
            But Beetroot ............no problem.:smile:

• Like Like x 2
            • Plosh

Livestock farmer
              Ratings:
              +18
              Carrots - no problem once germinated. Germination can sometimes be a bit challenging.

• Like Like x 1