1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do weeds grow at the bottom of the garden fence?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by MoonBasket, Jun 14, 2015.

1. MoonBasket

MoonBasket Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I am currently digging up a border around the edges of my garden, our lawn is alright, but the edges are a total mess. All the way around, at the bottom of the fences, ginormous weeds and extra long grass grows. There are nettles and huge dandelions mainly.

I'm curious, is there a reason they grow at the bottom of the fence? Is it coming through from the neighbouring gardens? The lawn currently goes all the way to the fence, the weeds aren't growing through open soil.

In digging up the border round the garden (I've currently dug up one side), I've taken up as many of those nasty weeds as I can, but is there a way I can keep them down, I will keep the border empty for a couple months before planting anything in it, so I'll be able to see if any weeds come back up, but there must be a reason they have been growing consistently at the edges of the lawn?

20150612_100137-1-1.jpg
    (The lawn actually ends just at the left of the picture, hence why there's some weeds at the side, it was a patch of soil from under a patio we took up, and weeds took over. The weeds growing up the fence looked like that round both sides of the garden! They were dreadful!)
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    I suspect its the birds sitting on the fence:chicken: then having a poo with seeds in :heehee:

Looks like you have had a mini border and the weeds find that soil next to the fence easier to grow in plus cutting the lawn you have not gone close enough to the edge to cut them down

looks like nettles to me so make sure you put gloves on

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You might be better off spraying them with glyphosate, they'll come back from the roots if they're coming from next door.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,883
      Hi @MoonBasket its where the wind blows all the seeds ,it spreads them outwards until the reach the fences and can go no further,Plant some good ground cover plants against the bottom of the fence;)

I have Ajuga along my fences it grow fast and is no trouble at all and there are no weeds:smile:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      They grow there because the mower cant cut then right up against the fence.
      You need to get a strimmer and cut against the fence before doing the mowing.

Not many weeds can take continual mowing.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,883
        Hi @pete not many gardeners can take continual mowing:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 5
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,087
          I agree with Pete. If you let the lawn grow you'd notice the weeds coming up other places in the garden too. You need to strim/cut back right up to the fence line.

To the left of the picture looks like bindweed, which is a pain to get rid of. Have a look here for some advice.

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
          "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
          Ratings:
          +4,445
          I have quite a thickly grown "bottom fence" area, loads of plants and about twice a year I go down and forage for all the weeds, the nettles are definitely sending runners from the other side of the fence, I periodically go round , it is a large field behind me and the access road to the railway tracks is directly behind the fence, tall weeds , so I try to pull the weeds away from my fence, it is the prevailing summer wind direction, so as already said it is wind borne seeds plus the birds fertilising.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          I sprayed the nettles off in the field last year, as they only grow just either side of the fence, only one clump came back :)

• Like Like x 1