1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does my lawn o to seed after only 2 inches?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Calum, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Calum

Calum Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all, last year I got fantastic advice here and did a full lawn renovation in Autumn and on the whole, this year my lawn is looking great. Mostly free of weeds and so on. But something strange. The little blades of grass grow heads and try and seed after only an inch or 2 in height? I'm pretty sure the lawn is healthy (fed it in autumn and again is spring) any idea why its doing this?

[​IMG]

thanks.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Try setting your mower a fraction lower

3. Calum

Calum Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Mower is on the lowest setting. Also this would only provide visual sorting if the problem. Nit sort out why it's actually going to seed so short.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    Ok then it looks like you have Annual Meadow grass (Poa Annua) there which is a very low growing/flowering grass weed. It can be a real pain to remove from a lawn. Is it all over or in patches?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Mine's doing it this year. Personally I like it. I guess hayfever sufferers might not like it though.

• Like Like x 1
      • adamsh

adamsh Gardener

Ratings:
        +121
        Mine seems to have been seeding non stop for as long as I can remember, within a day or 2 of mowing see stalks seem to be appearing.

Downside of it is my lawn is now covered in thick seed stalks (maybe a slight exaggeration, but still more than I would like), and to make matters worse a lot of them are flat to the ground so the mower cuts the seeds off, but leaves the stalk, and when you pull on one it turns into a beanstalk sized annoyance.

Neighbours must think im a bit crazy as I am always on my hands and knees cutting as many as I can with scissors lol.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        A lot of the grasses have evolved to set seed while still being nibbled by grazing animals, so with any mixture you'll get low seed heads.

You could spray it all off with glyphosate and then re seed with Couch Grass, that has 2 foot tall seed heads :snork:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,527
        This time of year they seed as frequently as possible but, form your photo, it looks as though you have a course grass which tends to have tough seed stalks.

To keep grass looking good I would not let it grow that long between cuts. This time of year a good lawn (or even a rubbish lawn like mine) needs cutting at least once a week - and sometimes twice a week.