1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Why don't members give some indication of their gardening qualificatons.

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Mike Allen, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
    Ratings:
    +54,373
    Sorry @Mike Allen , I wouldn't have the time or the inkling to read such work......my lovely chums here with good old hands on experience and straightforward forward advice and explanations are all I will ever need.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
      Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
      Ratings:
      +1,200
      BSC Horticulture nursery production and retail at Hadlow, but learnt much more on the Job, and still learning.

• Like Like x 10
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,851
        Not gardening but driving lorry's

The only papers i have is from doing the best job i can do and then the top person of a very large company (world wide) rights a letter to me for a job well done, still got the letter after 30 years :):):):):):):)

• Like Like x 9
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          I had one or two awards while in the rif raf but, to be honest, it was the people who decided to award them to me that made them, to me, so valuable and why I still treasure them and they're still hanging on the walls. But, of course, those are recognitions of appreciation rather than the results of examinations..........but are probably more treasured by the individual than mere examination results.
          I should think, Jiffy, that there isn't a job that you haven't done well.:love30::thumbsup:.

Some people take examinations and courses to an academic level for different reasons, some like the thought of "letters" after their name but don't pursue a career in that particular area, some try to gain those qualifications to gain prestige among their fellow human beings, some do it as a matter of interest to keep their mind busy, and others do it to gain access to better jobs and positions in research. But the ordinary person doesn't normally accept that the thoughts and opinions of a newly "lettered" person, at any level, is any weightier or credible than those of a person who has earned respect by recognised, long, practical experience in whatever particular area.
          [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
            Ratings:
            +31,851
            I try to do the best job i can do with want i have, if a company that i work for give you bad tools then the job won't be as good and if they treat you badly then job gets done badly etc etc :biggrin:
            what comes around go around ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
            • Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
              Ratings:
              +6,097
              Whatever. Best wishes to all. Enjoy your gardening.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
              • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,984
                I've never been good at the theory side of things:doh: but admire those that can take it all in.I'm a suck it and see kinda gal..if I get it wrong first time I'll get it right next time.I get any advice I need from GC'ers even though I still end up doing my own thing sometimes:rolleyespink: sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but that serves me right for being stubborn.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 10
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  Naah, loli, I don't believe that:dunno::nonofinger: But is it true you have a National Certificate in being Stubborn??:scratch::doh::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 9
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,984
                    Left myself wide open for that one didn't I..:biggrin: still luv ya loads though.:psnp:

• Like Like x 4
                    • Funny Funny x 3
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      And it's heartfelt returned, loli:love30:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                        +7,632
                        In general, I'd feel intimidated to share my own experiences if I knew a League Of Distinguished Professionals [​IMG] ;) were looking at my posts in this forum. The equivalent of the Head Master reading my contributions to the weekly students' magazine, so to say. [​IMG]

Academic, or scientific papers are and should be vetted within that community before the facts are accepted as true. That's the point of the academic community- learned people furiously shredding the paper into atoms before concluding it's correct. That's the only way to have any reliable facts.

In a hobby forum, a scientific paper can and should be published for a peer or audience review in the context of the audience of being just that, laymen, keen amateurs, or professionals outside their duties who will benefit from the findings. This would give the writer a good insight on how the study is perceived amongst the non- scientific folks to whose benefit the findings are perhaps aimed for.

• Agree Agree x 7
                        • Like Like x 2
                        • Jasmine star

Jasmine star Super Gardener

Ratings:
                          +1,960
                          I love gardening. I love trying new things. I love the joy I get when things go right and the compliments I get from passersby, neighbour's, friends and family. I also love to learn and when I'm unsure or struggling with something I can ask a question that I may feel might be a bit silly on here and get a few different points of views but never feel daft for asking or get replies implying It's a daft question. I have been made to feel like that on other forums and would certainly have been put off asking or joining if I saw qualifications after everyone's names. I do however have huge respect for anyone who has studied achieved qualifications and have passion/interest in what they do but from my personal experience sometimes people can have lots of qualifications but no experience. A good example for me is taking the new allotment. I'm starting from scratch so currently burning out the managers brain every time I go (she has been there 30 years) but she is lovely, patient and willing to help which is wonderful for me and settled any nerves i have. You are what you are irrelevant of titles/qualifications and for me as long as you're nice to people, treat others with respect you'll get my respect every time. Thank you everyone on here for being lovely :imphrt:

• Like Like x 7
                          • Friendly Friendly x 3
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Mike Allen

Ratings:
                            +6,097
                            Lovely post Jasmine.

Selleri. As far as I am aware. In what we might call, the scientific circles. Papers, articles even books of 'Higher Principles. These are always peer reviewed prior to publication whether that be in local circles or on a grander scale.

As I have so often stated. This truly is THE Friendly gardening forum. Since posting here. I have along with many, enjoyed. 'Freedom of Speech' We all respect each other, fair do's there may be differences of opinions, we accept this, but thankfully unlike a certain other online forum, where women rule the day and seem to have nothing else to do must gossip over the garden fence. If I ever post on there. Bang. I get shot down. Never mind.

I remember a couple of satisfying moments. In the employ of the MOD. Walking around the grounds of Rushgrove House. The Garrison Commander, a Brigadier suddenly said. Sorry Mr Allen, forgive me. You are the expert and here's me preaching to the wise one.

Another time was. Visiting a Fuchsia show in Lyndhurst. Grandson Josh was at my side. He was probably around 10yrs or less. He has a good memory like me. Anyway. Josh asked about a certain fuchsia, and how did it grow like that etc. I am always very concerned when people, young or old ask my advice. So I entered the speil about fuchsias. Naturally silently thinking, he would have forgooten it all by the time we reached the exit. Wrong. Back at the caravan, he very excitedly narrated it all to his mum, sister and grandma. Before leaving the show. A lady tapped my arm. Excuse me, but I was eavedropping on what you told the youngster. I am a member of the local fuchsia group. Would you be interested in giving a talk to our group. Thanking her etc and ending by saying that I was a member of the British Fuchsia Society.

It is very rewarding even on the lower levels of learning etc. Equally when having risen up the ladder, compliments are nice. Sad to say. When some individual openly accuses you of talking out of your rear end. Honestly, I find that hurts. Thankfully, I feel I am among true friends here on this forum. Thank you all.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
                            • Like Like x 2
                            • Agree Agree x 2
                            • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
                              Ratings:
                              +12,508
                              To me, it’s all about getting enjoyment out of your garden. Nothing else is necessary :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 6
                              • Like Like x 1
                              • Mike Allen

Ratings:
                                +6,097
                                Yes Freddie. But would you not agree. Having chatted with your neighbour allottmenteer whatever. So Fred. I stick the spud in the hole, cover it over and wait. Then a plant arrives, I wait 'till it begins to wilt and the dig it up. Wowee! new tatties. But during the waiting period. Hey, the plant is looking limp. Hey some leaves are going brown. Oh no, there are lots of creepy crawlies on the plants.

Over to you!