Wild rocket germination tips?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Stephen Southwest, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Stephen Southwest

Stephen Southwest Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi all,

I seem to be able to germinate salad rocket fairly easily, but not wild rocket...

Do you have any tips on wild rocket germination?

Thanks muchly, Stephen

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Keen Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,506
    Hi @Stephen Southwest - I've always had wild rocket, but I've never had a problem getting it to germinate and grow.
    What method are you trying? I always sow around mid/late April or so, in doors. If I'm starting it later in early summer or so, I can do it in trays or pots outside.

I find it very tough and it's pretty much perennial here, although I had to remove most of mine to alter a bed, and it doesn't transplant well. Fortunately I had a seedling so I'm growing it on.

3. Stephen Southwest

Stephen Southwest Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thank you - I'm wondering if it needed a higher temperature - it was indoors, but on the floor in early March - I'll try a warmer germination...

4. fairygirl

fairygirl Keen Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +1,506
    Maybe too little light as well - if I was to sow it now, or even end of March or so, it would have a cover [ie in a basic propagator] and grown on for quite a while. The lack of light is a bigger problem here than further south though.
    Hope another, later sowing will take. I used to leave a couple of plants to flower as the bees loved it :smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1