1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wind..

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by wildflower, Dec 3, 2006.

1. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well it was like windy ridge here last night i woke up in the early hours to hear it whistling around the house..a lot of clattering going on i could hear plant pots flying around.. :D Got up and my greenhouse is on its side smashed panels everywhere..Plants inside crushed.. :mad: this is greenhouse 5 i have lost so thats it... :( Fortunately the fences seemed to have survived..

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    WF,sorry to hear about the loss of greenhouse 5.This wind problem is getting worse,though I do remember in the 1970's blighty getting hit by strong winds that tore down fences and trees though they were few and far between,not like they are here every couple of days.From what we can see we got off lightly with our recycling bins getting blown about and two paving slabs getting blown over,one of which broke :( :(

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,885
    The Wind has been reported at 75mph ,trees down
    everywhere including my favourite Acacia (30ft),torrential Rain not helping,still it just missed my greenhouse.tried going out to move it but it was,nt the best of my ideas.

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry about the greenhouse, Wildflower. Must have been terrifying. Loss of a favourite tree is almost like the loss of a pet - sorry to hear that, WiseOld.

We semed to have escaped and I didn't know there was a wind problem until I read your posts.

5. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Its still windy now!!..The eucalyptus trees which are not very old are swaying around,,I think we are forcast more wind later.. :eek: I loathe the wind as i allways get damage ..Sorry about the tree wise owl i too think the wind is getting stronger in the uk ????????????????

6. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The wind kept me awake most of the night, there was a power cut but fortunately we got off lightly as far as damage is concerned as we only lost a sycamore tree. I had expected more. Sorry to all those who had more severe damage.

7. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    According to the local news their are 3000 locally without electric :eek: due to the wind so i guess i am lucky as i have electric..My dog hasnt been out side for long today he doesnt like wind he prefers to be in the warm.. :D

8. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Very sorry to hear the news Wildflower, 5 sounds like noble enthusiasm! Is there no way of securing any future glasshouse you may be tempted by? Those who live in more extreme environments than us have a solution - dig down. A structure with a low profile and the roof facing into the prevailing wind direction would stand a lot better chance of survival.

I understand it would cost somewhat more to build than an off the peg (if that's what you had), and the opportunities for growing stuff would be slightly different, but maybe it would be less heartache in the long run?

It would be very sad if you had to give up your pleasure because of these annoying storms.

PS sorry about your acacia WOL. They are rather unstable trees I find (sadly), I have had to cut a few down over the years to stop them falling on people / their houses

9. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    Sorry bout your Greenhouse Wildflower ,we roped ours down so hopefully its ok.
    We lost 2 at our last place,just a mangled mess so couldn't salvage anything.

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Wildflower - so sorry to hear about your greenhouse. I hate the wind too. I think as you get older you have more imagination/knowledge of how much damage it can do. It was only two days ago that I was up a ladder re-cementing the roof tiles edges at the gable end of the house. I am glad I got it done. When you are up there you realise that there is virtually nothing that keeps you roof on except for the weight of the tiles. You just have to stop the wind getting under a tile. If it does it could take a lot off.

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Sorry to hear about the fate of yet another greenhouse, WF - I think I'd give up on it, since you're moving...... I don't think I could cope with the disappointment you must be feeling about all the ruined plants, apart from all the mess, and bits of glass. That'll be awful with pets around.

Best wishes - and hope you can face going out there to save what's savable.

12. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have given up totally ..their is a foxglove sat in a pot upright amongst the debris..
    This one shouldnt have gone its up the house wall with next doors garage at least 10 foot high staring at it.. a 6 foot fence to the one side of it and my shed the other side..how much more shelter could i provide..its just open land to the front and rear of the property..and the wind must have built a pocket up..
    I lost a really good quality one 2 years ago on a base the wind lifted it like it was a hanky...
    I think here i could do with one on bricks..half brick half glass..
    Well its a good job the garden is well stocked as i wont be growing much this year..i will probably just scatter seeds..
    I suppose their are some worse off than me ..Its just one of those things the wind is the gardeners worst enemy.. :D When i move i will see if i can get one sunk down up a corner safe and secure..Its still really windy i have closed all the curtains to keep the draughts out..

13. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,512
    The BBC midday weather forecast reported winds of 90+ in Wales and 70-80 elsewhere so I am not suprised at the damage, our glasshouse at work lost a couple of panes which are 5ftx3ft and made a mess but not over any plants, luckier than Wildflower. Unfortunately severe gales have been forecast again this coming week so we haven't seen the end of it yet.

14. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like one of those freakish things, the wind cetainly has its ways.

Breezy down here but nothing serious and clearly not in the same league as your part of the world. Not looking forward to seeing my gardens out of town tomorrow though. Suppose it will have brought the leaves down (hooray), just hope not too many branches with them...

Good luck with the clearup Wildflower, I hope that you can salvage some bits and pieces at least.

15. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Poor wildflower, perhaps we could all send you some cuttings/plants in spring to get you going again?

We are windy here but I managed to garden for a few hours. I have my plants in the stable on the green house staging (waiting for greenhouse to arrive) I am just so surprised at how well they have done and how peacefull and pleasant it is out of the elements!