Wind..

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by wildflower, Dec 3, 2006.

1. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Waco..thanks but i only have one more summer left here so i am okay for plants the borders are bulging with things..I will be leaving most of it behind so not to worry too much..apparently their are over 12000 here now without electric and i am glad i am not one of them..as i have a electric cooker.. :eek: and the heating doesnt work without electric..Thanks for the thought though..

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, sorry to hear about your greenhouse wildflower - nightmare. Didn't get much sleep last night as it was so noisy and the worry of damage, but we have been lucky, apart for a few branches coming off the Beech trees - one just missing my son's car by inches!
    We have just had a squally hail shower and more wind forecast - think I will move back to Portugal like LoL.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    oo-er! You must have had it bad, Blackthorn. We've got VERY gusty squally weather, incredibly heavy rain, but not constant. Nothing like as bad as in other places.

4. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it was very bad down here to Blackthorn,trees blown over,at one point i thought our roof was about to blow away,its the worst ive seen down here

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Oh gosh macleaf,does that mean I would have had to put you up in my carvan if your roof had blown off [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Better idea Kandy,turf out mr Kandy to the caraven ill take the bed :D :D :D :D [​IMG]

7. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
  8. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Sorry you've lost your GH wildflower. :( You'll need to get your next one either on brick foundations or bolted to sleepers.
    It was certainly pretty windy here last night, but I think we've so far escaped the worst of the gales.

9. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I think Rosasaid that they gave it out on the news this morning that Wlaes had 99 miles per hour winds last night.The wind has been strong here all day

10. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    .... spent most of last night listening to the wind too.... youngest was scared so he came in with us - then Mr HBee went into youngest's bed....and so on!!!! I was dreaming about tournados coming down the street!!!!
    ....and as for the rain!!!!! Got youngest up and off to rugby - only to find it cancelled due to standing water on the pitches!!!!

sorry to hear about your greenhouse.... our huge tree fern went over and so did loads of pots - breakages everywhere!!

11. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear about your greenhouse W - what a shame to lose all your plants :(
    Everyone seems to have had some damage - our very heavy gate and the panels either side were listing - new posts needed :( Fence panel over up the top of the garden - very windy on the edge of the Blackmore Vale! Still - all the bunnies were safe and no one hurt here as far as I know [​IMG]

12. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,243
    Your lucky Waco, I wouldn't have been able to stand upright in the garden in that wind and it is just as bad now at 8.30. :D

13. use to be gardener

use to be gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my neighbours fence kept me up banging against his shed silly man had the fence cable tied to my mesh fence i told him it would not take any kind of wind and if it damaged my fence that he would have to replace it :mad: i also lost2 or 3 greenhouses over the years to high winds so i gave up on having them so i do have simpithy for you wildflower

14. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry to hear the demolition of your greenhouse WF, and all those others who had damage or lost trees. With all the rain we've had lately, the trees are pretty vulnerable, especially those that have leaves still.

Here it was windy but not that strong - looking at the weather forecast we got another storm coming in during the week but looking like its gonna affect Scotland and Ireland. So batten down the hatches those of you in the path.

15. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Terrible hauling winds in my area too, last night. It was like a tornado the whole night!