1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wind..

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by wildflower, Dec 3, 2006.

1. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh NO WF!!! :eek: :eek: Greenhouse number 5!! :eek: :eek: We've had probably the strongest winds ever here - and where I live that's some boast!!!!! Powercuts on and off all day yesterday, and there's trees and branches down on the lane. Luckily, there doesn't seem to be much damage in my garden,although my potted Beshorneria has made several laps of the garden and my Acacia has broken its tie to it's stake!!

Still windy outside, but nothing compared to Saturday night - thank God!!!!

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Today is a lot better now that the wind has died down,but often that changes when the air temperature changes.saw a tree across the road yesterday but as we could all drive past on the wrong side of the road it stayed there until the farmer came and sorted it out.

3. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    They reckon we have the wind again this afternoon and rain .floods are likely I wish it was just frosty .. :D

4. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,404
    Likewise Windy, my Acacia Baileyana keeps snapping the nylon cord thats supposed to keep it in place and we have mobile wheelie bins too. :D

6. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I haven't seen any real damage around here. Two friends have lost their greenhouses in Devon and Co. Durham which is very sad.

7. AndyG

AndyG Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I lost a green house roof panel, the door got blown open and it must have lifted out of the roof. Also 2 fence panels are broken and a small tree is leaning over more than it did before. [​IMG]

8. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    I siliconed my greenhouse glass in place :D and bolted the whole thing down to the base. ;)

9. Grassclipper

Grassclipper Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear about your storm trouble Wildflower. I had one greenhouse ruined by storms and woke up to find shards of glass sticking up out of the lawn everywhere. So my next one was toughened glass with 2 foot steel rods driven into the base . I did think about using polycarbonate or perspex for glazing but wasn't sure about the uv light aspect .

10. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    sorry to hear about all your losses, its sickening to lose your green house,the winds here in stonehaven have been so bad,made my first xmas basket looked allright,smashed to bits in next doors garden.end of basket :mad: :mad:my friend lives on the beach front, water right over the wall windscreen smashed bonnet full of dents.
    was just out with dog, very frosty tonight wish you all a very happy xmas and prosperous new year [​IMG]