1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Window Cleaning.. another way of doing it ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by hans, Apr 15, 2015.

1. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    I was in a friends house (82) a week or so ago and the window cleaner turned up. He had a telescopic pole with a soft broom on the top. Water was fed up the pole, he rubbed the windows and frames, rinsed off and left fairly quickly having relieved her of a small part of her pension.
    I put up ladders here ( I am not tight this is a rumor that I strongly deny) use the older..soap up the glass and squeegee? off. All very good but slow and dangerous. ladders quite heavy a bit of a chore.
    Today I bought a DIY version of the Pro window cleaners kit. You need a outside tap and a hose that will reach underneath all your windows. Not too handy for a man on the move but easier than ladders for the older chap. The 'Pole was alloy with a fixed angle brush on the top. Using a bucket with some water with Fairy I soaped up the frames and glass then turned on the water to pole, just a spray, rubbed, rinsed down and sat back. After careful examination by herself she thought it had worked well although not perfect. Some runs appeared but I will work on it. I am sure lots of you have a window cleaner or are already using this way of doing it. It is so easy and you get to wash frames, guttering, facias, conservatory roof anything UPVC or glass.The way forward for me.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,435
      That sounds like a good idea & I'm sure once you get the hang of it, it will work really well :dbgrtmb:. I'm a ladder girl myself, hubby puts up the ladder & I clean the windows & frames......he's a lucky chap isn't he! :roflol:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,517
      Our window cleaner has been using it for a couple of years. He doesn't need to attach anything to the mains tap but has a three gallon container that has the equipment fixed to it. He just pumps it like we do an ordinary garden sprayer.

He uses a special liquid in it that is supposed to prevent the water leaving spots or runs on the glass. It works fairly well but not quite as good as rubbing over the glass afterwards with a chamois.

• westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
      Ratings:
      +598
      Not sure what my window cleaners use as I'm usually at work but I'm pretty sure they're Navy trained as I think they're more experienced with portholes.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,193
        They use them at work on the office blocks, it's a lot quicker and safer than using ladders especially on the taller blocks. Can give us a fright when a brush suddenly appears from nowhere on the 3rd floor. It's a bit smeary maybe because they are working too quickly.

• luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        My window cleaner is ' traditional ' - and a very good job he does too, washes glass and the door and window frames down too. I asked him about the non traditional method and he replied that it can make a lot of water splashes and he doesn't feel the finish to the glass is as good. I've not tried the new method of window cleaning and as I am quite happy with the service I'm getting then there is no reason to want to try it.

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,955
        I'm a ladder man myself, i use a spray bootle with some vinerger and warm water, spray on window and rub, then soft cloth to shine, but i don't do it in the strong sunlight

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,631
        My windows havent been cleaned once since I bought my house and that was 5 years ago and tbh I doubt the guy before got them cleaned.

They really arnt that dirty at all you can barely tell but this year i plan to find someone with the long poles to come and clean them

I would just rather that than a man up a ladder being able to see into all the rooms upstairs

• hans

hans Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +745
        I did notice the window cleaner that came to friends had a backpack so very likely some sort of additives in the water as you mentioned above. Some of you are using the old method and the results are always good a well tried method. The runs I have are from the top of the frame so next time I'll try not washing tops of frames. Not a perfect idea as you can't really see what you are doing when standing 4 metres below. I haven't given up yet.... then again the Pole/ brush may join other things in the shed.

Beckie76 , your man is so lucky. I'm sure he shows his appreciation now and again :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
          Ratings:
          +857
          Doing windows with these pole devices may be safer but I think they do half z job at best.
          Anyone doing it that way should be using de ionised water which is basically distillers water in an effort to stop water spotting . Using plain tap water is a poor way to do it.

Fairy liquid is full of salts so will streak on glass.

When I clean the windows I like to clean the frames as well. Few if any window cleaners will do this so that's why I do the job myself.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,899
            Good evening I'm pretty lucky being able to fly and hover:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Funny Funny x 3
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • hans

hans Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +745
              There are some good tutorials on youtube

and this honest working chap below I could have a beer with him.

I have no problems with lower windows good results always also do friends bungalow. My new pole also had a squeegee and mop so I may try this. For cleaning frames the water fed broom has done a very good job and so easy. Soap the brush before turning on water. Conservatory roof later today.

Mods are links ok if not delete.

• Like Like x 1
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +49,622
                @hans - links are fine :)

I use the HG solution mentioned in the second video, and must admit that I have always been very impressed - its certainly the most effective solution for cleaning the greenhouse.

I use my Wolf Garten multi-tool with a washer head and a squeegee, and thanks to the telescopic pole I can easily do the upper windows as well as the lower ones.

I originally bought the Wolf Garten as a set of tree loppers to keep the buddleia tree that we used to have in order, and slowly I have added other bits to it including a hoe etc; very handy, and extremely well made, with the added benefit that you can get yourself a new garden toy under the premise of buying something to clean the windows :biggrin: